Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Big bad 4x4 test

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am afraid we will never hear from his friend, I will bet this is one of the teeny boppers who is on the kick ha ha ha ha my 4 wheeler is better than yours na na na na. Give me a break, I respect the hondas, the big grizz, AC (I own one) and the suzuki but come on this honda is going where a 500 sportsman is not??? Lovin sounds like you are full of more stuff than a Christmas turkey, to show everybody this is bull give me your friends phone number or tell him to call me I want to explain to him how to ride a polaris, as I said before don't think we will hear from his imaginary friend...nuff said other than come to WV I will let you follow me in some ruts that the mud sticks up more than 6 inches...get it???

Old 03-18-2000, 03:52 AM
Trailblazer

Atving if your not going to say anything constructive, don't say anything at all.

Old 03-18-2000, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

Who died and left you moderator I voiced my opinion I am not jumping around on the board like some punk which you are making stupid remarks oh well you can't expect much more from an idiot like you can ya...go to bed Johnny get off your dads computer hahahahaha

Old 03-18-2000, 06:30 AM
Range Rover

wygrizz,

Thats good advice. The best thing to come from your mouth yet. Perhaps you should abide by that??

Old 03-18-2000, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey now every body has got there own opinion on this facter and they can express this but I now my friend has had troubles with atv before we did go riding. I now it sounds hard to belive and it still sounds hard for us to belive that to. Now my friend might be coming to my house this weekend
so can give you a forum on his opinion on this factor but like you figured he might make it here.

P.S. don't cownt on him to give his phone
number away to someone he doesn't now and also he
doen't have a computer to email any of you.

Old 03-18-2000, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

wow...replies without name-calling and Bashing..
IT CAN BE DONE!!
I"m a son of a Desert Rat ,rode in Anza Borrego desert and Baja.Living in El Cajon area bought several yamahas from Don Vesco.He believed in tuning And preperation.My dad and I agree.What looks good on paper often does not carry on to real world.Bigger engines,more shock travel ,disc brakes seem more impressive but only if total package works.THE public Has bought on to the idea of liquid cooling..but for what purpose..many trucks, bikes,quads who DNF in off roading have coollant problems.Most Trail riders dont need the extra complexety.Disc brakes sure looked better and I and others wonder why HONDAS dont have them on our Utility QUADS.What do their enginers know that we dont.IN REAL world disc brakes are subjected to MUCH MUD,DIRT and all around FILTH.Disc brakes packed with this stuff do not work as well as Hondas clean drum brakes.Please believe me when I say I"m glad my 84 v65 magna had them!With Hondas lower weight,engine breaking our low tech.brakes work just fine.Much quieter on trails than dirty disc brakes!
ON THE WEIGHT ISSUE;..for general trail riding,hill climming,muddin" etc . would you think more weight would help? I dont. The only application where weight would help would be in competion pulls or plowing.Tree pulling too!
The Polaris 500 is a good machine that should get better with refinement.IF my Honda had your cc"s(HP)and little more top end ....
we did compare quite well to your 425 magnums

Polite Debates are fun.....
its cold,wet and windy...should be better riding tommorrow!!!

Old 03-19-2000, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

The Honda 450 ES did get a chance to have a shoot-out against the SP500, in the June '98 ATV 4Wheel Action.On the 450 they liked the ergonomics, the reputation of reliability, the ease of moving it with the motor off (lighter), and price was $350 less.
"In just about every other scenario, the Polaris Sportsman 500 EBS rules. It's plush. It will go places that will stymie the 450. It has more power, better suspension and superior handling."
"Until Honda or some other company challenges Polaris in the rear suspension department, the 500 EBS is going to remain the top big-bore 4x4 made. It's undoubtedly the #1 monster four-by for '98."
Wow all that from a Honda lovin mag. The SP 500 must have realy crushed the 450 to get that good of a review.
Polardogg.

Old 03-20-2000, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

I have two polaris 400 4x4's and there is not a wheeler out there that can come close to the performance that I get from the two-strokes.BUT, I also agree that Honda is the strongest most rugged, longest lasting machine ever made. I have seen a 300 4x4 get put through so much hell and my dads polaris too, the only difference was the polaris had to get more repairs over the years. I'm prett much saying, if Honda had a two-stroke automatic or Polaris would make their two-strokes a little more rugged and water tight, you would have the ultimate machine!!!

Old 03-20-2000, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

BILL450es is leading the lemmings again.

Bill you gave them just enough courage to come out of the woodwork and misspell a few more posts.

If Polaris came out with a four-stroke engine in 1995 and Honda has been making them for 20 years perhaps we should not buy a Rubicon until 2020? That would follow your logic.

Everything has its price, life is a compromise. I won't even respond to the comment on disk brakes.

As to the pulling power of a SP500 and lack of tractive ability I have to take exception. This post is as bad as the "Polaris in the eight foot ditch" post a few days back. Why is it that everyone with the disparaging remarks about Polaris has never owned one, yet they are all experts?

In our family there is one Honda 450ES, one Sportsman 400 and an Xplorer 400, so I know where I am "coming from". The Honda is very reliable, stable, and economical.

From a "fun factor" standpoint it gets the least mileage of any machine in the family. It is slow,
requires constant shifting and is rough riding. As a farm implement it is probably without peer. For trail blasting is left lacking.

Now if I lived in Louisiana and rode the bayous I would not even consider Polaris. If I lived in the frozen north 150 miles away from the nearest dealer I would own a Honda 300 4x4. But since these factors do not apply, I will elect to ride Polaris for the sake of comfort, traction, and always being in the right gear.

Polaris is like a beautiful woman; they both require a little more maintenance but they are worth it.

P.S. Do not drink the water from the Patoka River.

Old 03-20-2000, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

There are Lemmings in here, but I don't believe Bill450ES is leading them. A while ago I read a post post about Discs vs. drums, it was also a 450es vs. SP500 topic. Anyway the person who started the thread owns both, and bottom line the drums on the 450 are better in every instance, Stopping power, durability, etc. So please tell me again why discs on a utility machine are better. By the way, it really bothers me when people say something is better, just because thats what they have been "lead" to believe.

Quick Reply: Big bad 4x4 test