Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Honest opinions of Scrambler 400-500 from owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok folks, I'm doing a research for a buddy of Mine. I am a proud owner of a Recon and 400ex and a buddy of mine that has a recon really wants to get into the sportier models, but is afraid he cant deal with a clutch. I remember years ago when i started looking, I really liked the Scrambler due to how easy it was to ride, but I was kinda iffy due to the belt drive and weight. How do you guys like your scramblers and what size would you recomend (400/500)? He's pretty fearless on his recon but would like a little more pep, but cant really deal with a clutch. Any help along with any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals

Old 08-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I love my Scrambler. It seems to me to be kind of half way between pure sport and a trail bike. It goes fast when I want or I can cruise the trails with my father-in-law (read slow). I did have a bit of trouble with my trans, not the belt, in fact I was in water over the clutch cover today with zero slippage. Oh and by the way it is a 400 2 stroke 2x4.

Old 08-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

How fast does he want to go and does he need 4wd? The 400 is a 2 stroke and can be modded very inexpensivelu. The 500 is (as my dealer put it) a bullet proof 4 stroke.

Old 08-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

My last machine was a scrambler 400 4x4. It was a mix of a sport machine and kind of a utility machine. The rack, 4x4, automatic and floor boards weren't very sporty. It was a great machine if you want something that can ride with sport machines and with 4x4 machines. I wouldn't have one if it didn't have the 4x4, though. It really helps with traction in corners. If i had the choice, I would definetly get a 400, on the point that it is lighter and a 2 stroke. For a few hundered dollars, it could really get to be a fast machine. Mine was stock, so the power wasn't always there when i needed, even though i could outrun a 500. My buddies 400ex would waste it when it got enough traction, and a 400ex isn't overpowered. The weight is really noticable on turns compared to sport machines. It handles really good but is heavy in the turning. If i was going to get a 2 wheel drive scrambler, i would get something else and learn to drive with a manual transmission. Good luck on the decision and i would like to hear what he eventually gets.

Old 08-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, this is AWESOME feedback, thank you very much. As far as the speed he'd like to go, i would think around 40-50 to keep up in the trails with our 400s / 300s and Raptors. He's just starting to get some serious air on some tabletops. Its just that the poor recon is pinned in 5th to keep up with us on the trails but he wants something sportier. Thanks again and keep the feedback comming

Old 08-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think he'll be doing too much jumping, just a few here in there, He's pretty much our camera man on our excursions but I think he'd like to atleast be able to keep up with us. I don't think he'd need a 4x4 becaue I've never needed one for all the mud I fly through. I just don't want him to have to worry about the belt slipping in the water or up a hill. Thats the last thing I'd need, seeing my pal slide down a hill. So far all the reviews from you folks seem to be great, Maybe I'll take him to the local dealer to try one out. I don't suppose any of you live in southern NH, I'd trade you a free ride on a 400ex for a ride on your Scrammy

Old 08-11-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

hey guys, I 'm pretty much have been an diehard HONDA man (still are) ever scince I've been riding approx 22 years, Ido have to say my 500 scram has been a good one. I don't know why but I hated a polaris untill a few years ago 1999 I got this one. I have grown to have respect for them considering thier history and believe they are getting better. I do have to say there is no other machine like it (500scram and 400) theyre a different breed, they have there pros and cons abought them, but what ATV don't??? The only thing that I have done to mine (and it's been through the ringer)is I broke the swing arm in half, but that's what you get when you jump 750 pounds (atv and rider) over a 40 ft. double jump, BUT it took three months later when it finnaly come apart while riding in West Virgina . I'm not hard on my equipment I just like using it. Oh yeah the break, I didn't see it while pressure washing because I can't stand the 500 up on the grab bar like my others (too heavy) any way back to the point I guess when you leave the house and go shopping you don't know what you're bringin back till you get home??? that's my case??? good luck in what ever you get and have fun!!! later

Old 08-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Pitty,
Are there a lot of places to ride close to Pelham?

Old 08-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

get him a sportsman 700.

Old 08-11-2002, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not to many places left in Pelham, we've lost 3 major riding places this year alone and they closed down the parking lot in Windham for the Rockingham trail, so we have to drive to Freemont to park. We have one major place left that we ride at in Pelham, but they are already putting a neighborhood at the trail entrance. Other than that there is not much around. We truck the quads to Dunstable when ever we get a chance. Methuen is out of the question because they'll throw ya in the clink if the catch ya. But where there is a will there is a way

Quick Reply: Honest opinions of Scrambler 400-500 from owners