Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp 500 ebs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys think that the engine braking on the 500 makes a big difference? if so a good difference or bad.

thanks again

Old 08-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Referring to my 2001 SP500 user's manual I don't see a word relative to EBS. I do however see an entire section relative to PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission). They seem to be referring to the same thing.

Any idea or am I missing something in my manual.

Thanks

Madison

Old 08-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have a 2001 500HO with EBS. Would not buy annother machine without it. Can go down 45 degree slopes without using brake. Wife tried it, liked it, and was upset because her 2001 Sportsman 400 did not have. It does now. Reccomend any one interested - get it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I agree.

What I am trying to find out is the difference , if any, between EBS and what is referred to in my manual as "PVT" (Polaris Variable Transmission) Both appear to be one and the same.

My manual refers to PVT but not to EBS.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

yeah PVT is Polaris Variable Transmission and that aint EBS which is engine breaking system and dont hav e anything to do with PVT.....pvt just means you dont have to shift it like a manual..

Old 08-19-2002, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right - My 2001 SP500 has EBS but EBS is not metioned in my owners manual, PVT is. In fact the manual says quote "The PVT system rotates at hight speeds, creating large amounts of force on clutch components".

Old 08-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I'm missing something. When I go to the Polaris website and look at the specs for the various machines, I fine the below information. Seems the EBS is a system withing the PVT. I was confused by the fact that the EBS is not listed in my owners manual. Now I understand: The PVT is the transmission and the EBS is a system within the transmission. Makes sense.

Copy of info from Polaris website:
Drivetrain
Drive System 4-wheel independent shaft 4-wheel independent shaft
Transmission Automatic PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission) with EBS (Engine Braking System) Automatic PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission) with EBS (Engine Braking System)
Gear Range E-Z shift high/low and reverse E-Z shift high/low and reverse
Front Wheel Drive Thumb-switch engage On-Demand true 4-wheel shaft drive Thumb-switch engage On-Demand true 4-wheel shaft drive

http://www.polarisindustries.com/pro...TSMAN500HODUSE

Old 08-20-2002, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

PVT is what makes the machine go. The mechanics are almost identicle to a Snowmobile transmision - increasing engine speed causes centrifical force to tighten front clutch on belt which forces the belt further out on the clutch thus changing rotation ratios between front and rear clutches.
EBS (which requires different front and rear clutches and belt) uses a similar process, only in reverse. When rear clutch starts to free wheel (ie: going down hill or rapid release of throtle) it tightens on the belt and keeps belt locked on both clutches and thus uses engine compression to slow machine down.
May not be exactly accurate in operation but okay in principle. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]