Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 400 Sport Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002 | 10:00 AM
|
Trailblazer

Hey gentlemen,

THe problem has been diagnosed and Piranah was correct. The main problem has been the oil injecton pump all along. The crank is frozen and we've decided to have the motor handled by the professionals. Due to the lack of some of the speciality tools and a very helpful staff ar Armand's Polaris in Halifax MA, we've decided to do the following:

HAve them pull the clutch, split the housing, repair the bearings/piston with stock Polaris parts even though they are a little more ching, and have the oil injection pump repaired. The cable was disengaged inside the housing causing a 'no flow condition' therefore the failures. Given all the work we've done, and being that the work they are to perform will be under warranty, we think this is the best solution. It has bee quite a learning experience and appreciate all the most helpful solution suggestions. We are now much more educated regardingthis machine and have ordered a 'service manual' to compliment ourknowledge base.

Thanks again,
Dave & Alex

Old 08-25-2002 | 11:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know you said the Wiseco piston was gonna be warrantied....PLEASE make sure a Wiseco goes back into your motor. It is FAR superior to the stocker. Other than replace the oil pump. To aleviate future oil injection problems, and to remove 11 lbs from the front of your machine, why not switch to premixing. An oil injection block-off plate can be had for only $16 from places like HPD. Pre-mix at the 40:1 ratio with plain old Polaris non-synthetic 2-stroke oil. You can get a Ratio Rite cup for around $4 to make things really easy.

Ken

Old 08-27-2002 | 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

I had to rebuild my 400 also. One thing that I was told was when breaking the motor in to run two tanks of premix through it while using the oil injector also. This puts more oil through the cylinder to help lubricate the new parts. And as stated before you should definatly put a Wiseco back in it. Also if the piston blew the first time I'd make sure they check the cylinder for scratches and also clean out the bottom of the motor just in case any pieces fell down in that could disrupt the crank.
Good Luck

Old 08-28-2002 | 08:15 AM
|
Trailblazer

Okie Dokie guys,

Here's where we stand >>> We are putting a Weisco piston .020 oversize back into the nelwy honed cylinder. The head and cylinder will be shaved and trued, and the base will be split, cleaned, and new bearings installed> along with repairing the oil injection pump. We'll richen up the mixture in the tank along with the oil injection system. I'll be away for a month but really wanted to thank all you folks for such nice help. I'll make sure my son takes great care with the break-in period.

I have a Kawi a 2002 650 that had a pull start problem. Turns out that help I received here in this forum informed me that I merely had to put a washer under the nut that holds the inner catch release mechanism > and it worked. Another service avoided for the cost of 30 minutes and 5 cents . You guys are great. Thanks much.

Can't wait to get to Gassaway, WV to do some hunting and riding!

Four wheelin Father & Son Team from Cape Cod.

Old 08-28-2002 | 12:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Happy Trails Dave!!!!

Ken