Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The 700 Blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m happy to see so many sticking up for the 700, even through the problems. Those that are mentioned on this thread are the most common I know about, with starter problems and some sort of front exhaust pipe breakage happening often enough to be a concern, but less common.

I agree nothing is perfect, but in the past I’ve defended Polaris against the accusation that they just put their machines out there and let customers do the product testing for them. In the case of this water pump leakage, I can’t look at it any other way. When you have leakage before a new machine leaves the shop, what does that tell you? Especially after these machines have been built (and leaking) for six months! And much worse, when you have an unsuspecting customer who has coolant leakage in the first two miles of owning the machine and rides it till the heat damages the engine to the point that it needs to be rebuilt, what do you think that guy is going to say about the brand? So what if it’s under warranty. After loosing 2-4 weeks of a short riding season because a brand new $7000 machine is sitting in the shop he’s gonna be pissed and is going to tell everyone who will listen. Very bad for publicity and reputation. Two weeks ago I met the guy described above on the trail and got an earful. He was riding an old borrowed Moto 4 while waiting to get his new 700 back from the second coolant leakage problem. This isn’t just a benign coolant leak on some of these machines, it causes some major problems. I didn’t want to believe him, but after reading all the “problem posts” I now find it’s true.

We ride in a vast wilderness area and put on a lot of miles. No tow truck is going to get to me when my machine overheats because the coolant leaks or the fan blows a fuse or the starter decides not to work and there’s no recoil start.

Here’s my bottom line. I was all set to trust Polaris again (after 9 machines, they had earned it) and buy a 700, but after hearing all the horror stories I’m afraid reliability issues still exist, and I keep thinking of what my riding season would have been like this year if I’d bought one of the first ones. There’s just no excuse for putting a machine out in the marketplace that has so many inherent failures that have the potential to leave you on the trail and/or cause major problems (greed is not an excuse). Especially when the company was on the verge of leaving that shadow of unreliability behind. I’ll admit I feel a bit betrayed by Polaris after six years of writing near-essays in these forums defending the brand. Disappointed and betrayed, that about sums it up.

Now, do I want a new trail machine so bad that I’ll sell my fine-running two year old HO with 3400 miles on it and buy a Grizz? Hell no! I’ll keep the HO as long as it takes to find something I like better. That might be a Polaris but after the first year of the 700 they’ll have to earn my trust back again if they want to keep me as a customer.

Seacow, $6600 for an '02, not sure about '03

Old 08-29-2002, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I think you are over-reacting. Problems that get reported on this forum outnumber the quads that don't have problems 100 to 1. Take the Raptor tranny for instance. Though a significant number have reported failures, certainly enough to justify a recall, the actual percentages are small, our '01 Raptor is just fine, as is our friend's.....
....The problems reported so far for the 700 have been few and far between. I think you are making a big deal out of very little. New machines have their problems, and Polaris is one of the best companies as far as stopping the production line and fixing a problem. I bet the '03 600s and 700s will have licked every problem mentioned in these forums...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I have a strong premonition that a blue 600 twin will find its way into my garage by next spring, or sooner....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you are a good man Fourlix. i've got a 'Hold' on the the 1st blue 600 that hits the ground at my dealer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
i can't wait!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
-MT

P.S. FLOODRunner, BTW, for a mechanic that has ANY experience at all, repairing the leaky water pump is no big deal. there is no Mfg better than Polaris out there that will stand behind their product the way they do. but if it makes you happy, go buy a boring air cooled Honda.........i bet we'll see 'ya back on a Polaris before you know it..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

have a great day, buy American.....and DAMN that feels good![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

<< go buy a boring air cooled Honda >>

well i guess leaky water pumps would be outta the question then!!

Boring, hardley, reliable YES!

i know all about leaky water pumps...........i have a '00 Kodiak[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

The first time I took my 700 off the trailer for it's maiden voyage, the crank seal blew and oil came spewing out from the side cover. Took it back, dealer put in a new crank seal, started it and blew it again immediately. They called Polaris who said they had seen a couple of these, and said it was casting &quot;flash&quot; blocking an oil passage. Nice quality control. Dealer cleared passage and another seal, that's all fixed.
Sending unit for electric fan stopped working, caused machine to overheat and pop into the overflow. I had to stop and add water every mile or so until I got back. Once again, another riding weekend trip ruined.
Water pump cover started leaking, pulled it off and cleaned some crap off the mating surface. It just started leaking again so I just took it off again. Once again, terrible quality control.
Last month I did some mud bog competition and plugged the fan full of mud.(my own fault) I washed out the front of the radiator, but didn't think to check the back. When it overheated, instead of blowing off into the overflow, it ruptured a plastic tee in the radiator hoses. Another weekend cut short.
One of the chrome wheel started to flake and peel, poor plating job. Polaris gave me a new one. Now one of the rears is rusting, I think the chrome plating is too thin, but this is from wear not flaking off. Nevertheless, that will will look like junk by next year.
I don't think it has the power it should. Everyone says theirs will pull the front tires, but mine won't. It is quite strong, but I think a great big twin should have more power.
It has the best ride by far, and I rode absolutely everything before buying. It rides like a Cadillac, and will totally blow away EVERYTHING else when it comes to deep mud. I just wish I had more faith in it, because I am stuck with it now. If I had to do it all over again I would buy a Sportsman 400. Almost identical setup, enough power for a lot less money, and much more reliable. So, I wouldn't recommend buying a 700, but don't buy a Grizzly either because they are a lousy performer. Nice snappy throttle, but awful ride, junk tires and afraid of the water. Every Grizzly I've seen get their feet wet has drowned. And in spite of the so called diff lock, they are only 3X4s.
So that's my story.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

I just got my SP700 back today after a ten day visit to the dealership to have the starter replaced. Thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty. The total for the starter and labor was $302.09. This ATV should have a backup starter. Are you listening Polaris?
I have also had it in three times for the reoccuring waterpump cover leak. I don't think it will ever be permanently fixed until the Big P fesses up to the problem and redesigns a metal cover period! Even with the problems I still have not seen another ATV that will make me abandon ship. I looked at the new Rincon and it does nothing for me.

Old 08-30-2002, 06:35 AM
Range Rover

Floodrunner
Well said!! I won't go in to all the problems I've had with my 700 but they have been many and some recurring. I will say that polaris has the most arrogant customer service dept. that I have ever come across. If you can get them on the phone. The mechanic at our dealership just had a half hour arguement with them over a rear bumper for my son's 02 freedom edition. In short, they said that the bumper was an accessory and it was the owners problem to make it fit. When the mechanic replied that it was a polaris accessory, they basically said, TUFF SH!!. Between myself and my two son's, we have owned 7 polaris atv's. We won't own another one. I can understand problems with new machines like the 700 or any machine. I can even handle the eight or nine round trips to the dealer (40 miles round trip). What I won't tolerate is a manufacturer that refuses to stand behind their product.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

...welcome back Floodrunner!
Brand new design and first production year,just wait one more year.
/just make an exception to your two year quad replacement period/
Joe

Old 08-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Prairie 650 will be the next machine in my garage. I have read next to nothing in the complaints dept. on these machines. My dad just bought 2 Prairie 400's and I am VERY impressed (I know they are not the same as the 650/360). Althought I am not going to bash my Polaris, this will be my last one.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

when you read this, you'll say i did the unthinkable!
yesterday, i took delivery of a brand new '03 Sportsman 700!.....now that means i have 2 700's now!.....oh no!....that means double trouble![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

.....and guess what?....i'm not finished....i also ordered a Sportsman 600 in Blue!...FIRST YEAR model......what am i thinking??????..i must be out-a my mind CRAZY![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

well, put your minds at ease, for only $99 i bought the 6 mo Extended Warranty! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

anyways, i hope you all find pease with yourselves and your SP700 ATV's. go for a nice long ride this Labor Day weekend.....but don't forget to take that cellphone along for the ride! LOL,LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

have a good one,
-MTPockets

Quick Reply: The 700 Blues