Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The 700 Blues

Old 08-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a die-hard Polaris owner since ’96 (we’ve owned 9 total, still have 3; an ’01 DUSE an ’01 RSE and an ’01 6x6) I must express my shock and grave disappointment in the (un)reliability issues with the “new” 700.

For the last six years I’ve very vocally defended my purchasing decisions against the lingering stigma of unreliable Polarises of the past, as I’ve watched the brand make great strides toward dependability. Magnums and Sportsmans of recent years have proven themselves to all but the most staunch brand bigots. It takes so little to ruin a good reputation, and soooo much to rebuild one. So now, as the last whiffs of the stench of unreliability float away in the breeze, what does Polaris do? With great fanfare they release a “premium work and play domestically built 700 twin” that is plagued with problems.

It’s been a great while since my schedule has allowed me the luxury of cruising the ATV forums, but as the urge to “upgrade” my trail machine has crept over me recently I’ve read everything I can about the 700. Most of it hasn’t been good. Even the salesman at my dealership reluctantly expressed disappointment with all the problems he’s seen with the 700. The head mechanic there wasn’t as diplomatic, he just said “don’t buy one.”

As a business owner, I can’t believe the stupidity behind such a move. As an American, I’m embarrassed that the first Polaris motor that doesn’t bear the Fugi Heavy brand name is so poorly built. Advertising it as “domestically built” gives “US” a black eye. As a consumer and Polaris rider, I’m offended, embarrassed, and terribly disappointed that the company would try to feed us, its loyal customers, such an inferior product.

I was all set to buy a 700 before becoming aware of all the “issues” swirling around it. The new Ramsey winch I bought for it, still in the box, will be returned. The hot grips and thumb warmer will wait for a more worthy machine, possibly with a different nameplate.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Range Rover

The only problems I've had with them are the water pump covers leaking. I've done three of them now. Other than that, hadn't had any problems. If I was in the market for that type of machine, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy one.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

floodrunner the only reel problem is the water pump cover and I think they have a fix coming for that it will do more then the 500 will I love mine

Old 08-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

Do like my TOYOTO dealership does, I did. Pull the cover off, wipe clean , apply a thin bead of non-hardening silicone gasket sealant.
END OF PROBLEM! Hope this helps.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

i don't recommend silicon, if it gets sucked into the engine it won't help matters, fix it right!

Old 08-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

floodrunner,
first off, welcome back to the Forum!
second, other than a water pump leak, which by hte way is an easy fix for a service tech, the SP700 has been bullet proof.
in fact i have read where some 700 owners have modified this and that and have turned a good 700 into a TERRIFIC POWER HOUSE...a torque monster!
what does your mechanic say is so bad about the 700 that convinces him not to recommend you to buy one?
-MTPockets[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

RINCON
I think the key word here is "thin" when talking about silicone, This should not be considered "not doing it right". More and more new cars and trucks are going to the use of silicone as the only gasket, most front and rear diffs. etc. are just silicone. The newer parts are being machined with finer mating sufaces and the use of paper gaskets are going by the wayside.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

well i'd just let the dealer fix it "right" i'm not a big fan of silicone, the gaskets are pre formed, you are right though a thin layer wouldn't hurt, because when you put the 2 surfaces together and see silicone ooze out, the same amount is oozing "IN"

Old 08-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Very true

Old 08-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Floodrunner, I just picked up a 700 for a Buddy of mine that is comming up to Alaska to do some Moose hunting, then the 700 is mine for the rest of the year, (not a bad deal eh?) I have 40 miles so far. I paid $6900.00 for it, then put on the 2500 Warn and a set of 26" mudrunners all the way around, (he also bought me a set of mudrunners and rims for my old 96 sp500 just for picking him up the 700)
What kind of deal are you finding on them back in WI?

Seacow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 700 Blues