Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Minnesota Riders Voice Your Opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well,i feel sad to see your riding area severly banned,here in quebec
they are atv clubs now with commonplace trails like the sleds during winter (actually the same or so trails passages than sleds)you must pay your card along the sticker and can ride whenever you want to,but most don't ride through them as well,i think respect properties passages is essential to keep going the sport,i got some story like that this spring and it all ending in good terms.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dbeck, not really sure why we should be pissed at ATVAM, they HAVE been fighting like heck ALL over the state. This thing in Sherburne county was a blind-sider...they've been waging war there. This MRR, or I think they call themselves the Oak Tree Federation...or something like that is the problem. These are people who don't have a regular job. They see fit to Freeload off of government grants, and stir up problems. I do agree there is definitely room for improvement. Once again the few ruin it for the many. They have the yahoo papers like the Star and Tribune eating off their feet. There are many angles of defense currently going on "behind the scenes". You probably won't see instant results, this is a war of compromises that's gonna take some time. Just my opinion, but the best thing people can do is start up the clubs. The strength in numbers is incredible...once again look at the sleds. It took time for them to win their battle, the same one, we've just begun to fight. I still want to know what these members of MRR do, what they own/operate business wise. I want people to be educated as to where their hard earned dollars are being spent. Expose the yahoo's who are hiding in the shadows. I don't mind if they have educated, legitimate concerns, that's where the compromises can be worked out. When they come out and want to virtually lock up the outdoors....then we've a hockey game.

This soapbox moment was brought to you by Mother Earth....she just wants you to know how really regenerative her resources really are.

Ken

Old 09-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah stupid liberals,, they want us to drive electric golf carts everywhere,, and eviromentalists can all kiss my white ***,, iam so sick of there mouth and reading in the paper about how atvs are tearing up the woods and crap. LIBERAL TWITS,,, they are all taking this country down.... ITs the end of the world as we know it, JOE,, Garage logic baby[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Mod,

It's been published that ATVAM supported and recommended the new law prohibiting the use of ATVs on State land.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with dbeck on that one,I read that,too. I'm not real happy with ATVAM as a whole,lately,just seems like they have been knuckling under,not compromising or fighting much. Instead of having big riding parties,they should be focusing on keeping our rights protected.After they have secured our riding areas,then they can have all the big group rides they want,otherwise,soon there won't be anyplace to hold their conventions,not with wheelers,anyway.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

If I remember correctly ATVAM supported the bill that banned cross country riding off trails only. They werent for banning atvs on state land just keeping people on the trails. I dont want any new restrictions but considering the alternative (no riding on state land at all) I'll take the off trail restrictions.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I believe if you read the law correctly, it's meant to be a cross country travel ban. This is that form of riding which is basically "free reign", ride where you want. What is being proposed is a more thoroughly developed system of trails....and if we can get people to STAY on those trails.

Ken

Old 09-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Minnesota has virtually no ATV trails compared to States like Wisconsin. The "free reign" riding is the only decent riding we had. People with cabins in Northern Minnesota might be sitting in the middle of 10,000 acres of State land and not have one legal trail in the area. Most of that land is covered with logging roads and there is absolutely no reason that ATVs shouldn't be able to use those existing logging roads. What about people who use ATVs to carry bear bait out into the woods and make their own trails?

Even so...that's not the point. The point is, ATVAM should have fought for our rights until such time as they lost the battle. We support them with our membership fees so that they have the money to pay lawyers to fight our battles. If they had fought and lost I'd respect ATVAM as would most ATVers. In my book, they just gave away our freedoms.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

ok i have a question. so is it still legal to ride in ditches?? because i've been doin it for 3 years and no cop evercared but they make you do community service if your on the road or crossing it unless you have drivers licence and updated tabs.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

suicide, it all depends on where you are and who the authorities are.
Some cops dont mind, even if you ride on the road, as long as you are being safe.
Some wont even put up with you riding in ditches.
Here in Southern Ohio, I haven't had any encounters with the cops, and dont plan on it, I will just avoid them all together.
I have ridin on the road one time, and on the game preserve ( no one hunts on it where I live) to pull a 300lb plus deer out that was 5 miles from home.
I dont make it a point to ride where I shouldnt, and I do make sure I have permission before riding on private property.
I am very nice to anyone that is trespassing, but when they get disrespectful is when I lose it.
My land runs all the way around the local V.A.
I had the safey manager ride his cart into MY woods and tell ME that I was trespassing on federal property, and he wanted to see my papers that showed I was supposed to be there.
I said the ownership to the land was all I needed and that he couldnt even show me that property line to tell me I was trespassing, which I knew I wasn't.
But what really gets me, is when he said if I continued to ride there, I would have problems with security,
I told him if he continued to come down there, and mouth me, then he would have problems with me.
He thought that I was going to bowe down to him, but his voice cracked in fear when I ripped another hole.
He was also the same guy that told me that he was mushroom hunting on federal land, and he has been hunting it for 25 years.
15 years ago the federal govt. sectioned it off and sold it, to my best friends' dad, who sold it to us.
I was nice to him, until he started to mouth me, and he didnt' even know that he was actually the one trespassing, but he didnt want to give up, but he did, I thought he was going to pee himself when I didnt' give into him.

Quick Reply: Minnesota Riders Voice Your Opinion!!