Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELLLP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put on a new HPD kevlar belt and it slips Real bad!!!The only thing i did was take the center bolt out from the secondary clutch and slide the sheeth set off.Took off old belt,slid on new belt and install the secondary clutch,put bolt back in and now it slips like crazy.I then put the old belt back on and it slips also wich it didnt slip before!Any suggestions?

Old 09-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean this to be mean, but were your hands clean? I have a pair of canvas gloves that I ONLY use for clutch and belt maintenance. I'll normally wipe the sheaves with a clean cloth that has brakeclean on it. I normally wipe the belts with a clean cloth with rubbing alcohol on it. Did you check to see if your belt deflection was under 1 1/4"?

Just some ideas, hope they help.

Ken

Old 09-03-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to change my belt AGAIN (I know my fault)...I always blow everything clean...but have never wiped anything. Is the alcohol going to dry the belt out?

Old 09-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Did the key on the shaft get pushed out of place? If it did the clutch will just spin on the shaft. Make sure the shaft is turning when the clutch rotates. This may be the problem. Good Luck.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Okie, I don't get things overly soaked. Just pour some on a clean rag (I use a ton of those "box of rag" heavy duty paper towels) and kinda lightly wipe the belt. Just in case someone else has had a handful of goo and handled it.

Ken

Old 09-03-2002, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I made sure that everything was clean and i even washed my hands before instaling the belt.Could it be that the ramp buttons broke cuz of the new belt gripping so well? It is a 2000 and nothing has been done to the clutch except primary spring.I have the cover off and with it running the secondary clutch does not seem to be opening like it did before.This makes me believe it is the buttons. I just ordered a new clutch set from HPD yesterday and this happened today.
Guess i need to wait for the HPD kit to come in!!!

Old 09-04-2002, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like you don't have the secondary clutch clocked right. You need to push the helex down while you turn the sleave 1/3 turn and push the helex all the way down and put the snap ring on.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You're not getting the higher engagement of the different primary spring confused with slipping, are you? Did you order the roller secondary from HPD....preferably the new Team Industries unit?

Ken

Old 09-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Everything was fine until i changed to the HPD kevlar belt.I didnt take the secondary clutch apart.I only took it off of the splines.cleaned everything and put new belt on and slid the secondary back on and now it hardly grabs.RPM's go up and it moves slow.Today i took the secondary apart to check the buttons and they were perfect.It had the right pre-load, spring was set on 2-2 position.Put everything back together after i cleaned it the 3rd time and the same thing happens.It all started when i went with the HPD belt.I thaught it was to reduce slipping?Could it be the belt?

Old 09-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you double check your deflection...lay a straight edge across the top of the belt with modest tension should be 1 1/8-1 1/4". Also you can try taking some scotchbrite with the brakecleaner on the sheaves.

Ken