Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AAEN, RCR, or HPD, lets hear it...I gotta know,

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok all you you wise people, I wanna hear it all. What would be the best pipe? AAEN, RCR, or HPD? I'm only gonna buy a pipe once! (Mine came with a DG, piece of ****)I have all the motor done and the clutch, rims, plastic cut......alll of it (besides a new carb)

Old 09-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been asking the same thing but not many people give the facts about thier setup.Horswe power gains,bottom end,top end,ETC...IM not to concerned about the top speed,I just want to get there fast!!

Old 09-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of bike is it? I have a '01 Scram 400 with a HPD trail pipe RcR airbox mod with a HPD Plain clutch spring and an FMF Turbine Core II silencer. I am extremely pleased with this pipe. The power comes on really strong from bottom to top. My dealer couldn't believe how much power it put out. He was selling Aaen pipes and after he rode my bike switched to HPD pipes. In a 100 yard drag race I get the hole shot on my brother-inlaw on his Raptor and only get beat by about 2 feet. I was impressed. When stock he pretty much killed me from top to bottom. I rode a guys 400 scram with a Aaen pipe and the power was too slow coming on for me. I chose the HPD. First and last pipe I will ever buy. Unless it's the HPD Race pipe. Yeah baby Yeah. I didn't get as much top speed that I thought. I can only get around 69 MPH. I wasn't too concerned though. The climbing power is fantastic. I can climb almost any dune I try. I climbed the tallest, steepest dune at Glamis (China Wall). All I can say is HPD has been great for me and I wouldn't try anything else.

Dune.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

I've been in this forum long enough to know that most people
are going to say RCR or HPD. Top two period! The pipes are pretty
equal in performance. HPD only makes a trail pipe for the TB and has
a race pipe for the 400's. RCR has pipes from low to topend but
you should talk to Rick Ritter if you want something specialized.
Fit and finish is about the same but I do believe that the pipes
are made in different ways.
Don't forget about how important it is to get a pipe
and clutch kit from the same maker!

Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

Well like talonhawk said He has been on the forms long enough to know everybody on here SAYS HPD or RCR. WHY, because that is what someone else told them. I went through this when I first started with my Scrambler. FACT IS NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHO IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST. Polaris Power is just not popular enough for the Magazines to do a comparisions on pipes like they do for Honda and Yamaha.(not that is wouldn't be fixed to the highest bidder anyway)

Here are the facts in my opinion::

RCR is very popular due to his GREAT customer service and Best value.
Does he make the most power???? Would you be happy with one of his pipes. ABSOLUTELY

HPD seems to be the most popular,I belive because of the fact that some well know,and well spoken members of the forums with SUPER SPORT bikes use there products. Don't get me wrong they are great products. Do they make the most power????

HSP, well the Hot Seat Gen 2 pipe make great power, and is slightly Adjustable for more low or High end power. Does it make the most power???
All that everyone can agree on with HSP is there great Suspension products, but HPD and RCR really don't do much suspension so I guess thats an easy one.

AAEN seems to have got lost in the suffle a bit, They have great product and good customer service, and are true experts when it comes to Clutching, but seem to have the HIGHEST PRICES of the four companies, and I belive that hurts them.

Here is the bottom line that I am sure Everyone that know a little something can agree on, When buying Polaris performance Items stick with those who know Polaris(HPD,HSP,RCR,AAEN). Once you decide on a manufacture use there product through out, they make there product to work with there specific products for best performance. If you do this you will be extreamly happy and have a sweet, powerful ride. Thats the best we can do untill we get some FAIR, NON BIAS tests comparing there product.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Very nicely put Bubba. Let's let Dirty Wheels fade away, and publish Bubba's Wheels. Straight and to the point!! By the way, my last issue of Dirty Wheels, complete with those jumbo letters..."This Is Your Last Issue". Mailman couldn't understand why I was celebrating that.

Ken

Old 09-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Bubba! As you can see stillslo there are people who are Happy with HPD, RCR, HSP, and AAEN. I haven't heard any Major complaints about any of them. The problem with DG and FMF is that they don't sell the total package so its hard for someone to guess the proper clutching and carb tuning. As Bubba said, if you stick with one company, they can take all of the guess work out of it for you. As most of us know getting the clutch properly tuned can make a world of difference.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Here are my experiences with two of the above mentioned companies.

I first started with an RcR Stage 1 kit.It gave decent power gains throughout. Sounded nice, but did not fit worth beans, and I couldn't get the silencer to stay tight to save my life. On the trails, the pipe/silencer sounded like an old steel pop can full of bent nickles. Also with the kit, you get one clutch spring, which helps a little, but just adding the other spring, and changing the weights makes a huge difference. (which you get with an HPD kit)

I then switched to the HPD nickel plated trail pipe, and matched it up with the MSA silencer, and topped it off with an HPD clutch kit. Although this setup cost a little more, (about $100, if I remember correctly) it was worth every penny, and them some. Everything was very easily installed, fit and finish were top notch, and the power gains were off the board compared to the Stage 1 kit.

After I had that stuff installed, I threw in a Wiseco piston, Delta V Force reeds, aluminum clutch buttons, and some other goodies. The power was indescribable on the quad when I was done with it. The only bad thing was, it was still overweight, and a real bear to take on a full day of technical riding. Once in a while, I break out my pictures of it, and find myself missing it a little.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sniff, sniff.....memories lalalala. Still do that with my old race car. Give me a moment, I need a tissue...they become a part of you with all the good times.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken