Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler owners honest opinions..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. The versatility is the best feature of the Scram. You can have fun in 2 wheel with the sport bike riders sliding and jumping moderately and do the nasty mud, rocks and hills with the utility riders. It may not be the best machine for specific types of riding but the Scram does eveything well.

2. I really enjoy riding it for the terrain and type of riding we have here in NY and PA. There has been very few times I wished I had a different machine while riding it.

3. I have heard of chains and trannys braking on the 99 and newer models some seemed to be operator error and some manufacture. My 98 has been great. It does eat brakes but I ride a lot of mud so I would expect this from most machines. The stock tires are not the greatest but they work well enough. My skinny **** wishes the seat was a little more comfy for the longer rides. Belt wear has been good in my experience 3 in 5 years. When I first got it I rode it a lot more agressive than I should have (ie jumping a lot) and cracked the swingarm but it has been fine since.

4. If something happened totalled or stolen YES but they havent changed much since 98 so Im waiting for replacement or redesign before I by a new one.

Hope this helps

Old 09-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Scrambler 400X and I love it. The 4x4 on a 2 stroke is a great combination. It is a little heavy but definately quick for the size. I have only had it for 2 months now and have had no problems, except that I let my brother take it and he flipped it. Nothing broke, just scratches and "ding" in the rim. I would definately buy another......

Old 09-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

1. true 4x4 with sport suspension

2. the weight and no low range

3. poor quality-parts wearing out sooner than they should like my swingarm pins and bushings-250hrs wore out.

4. Don't think I will ever buy another Polaris. Not a quality piece of equipment!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2002, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

1) What do you like MOST about your Scram?

Versatility. It can do alomost anything, and like already stated, it doesn't shine in one particular area.

2) What do you dislike the MOST about the Scram?

The weight is the thing that bothers me the most. If it didn't have such a heavy feel, I would love it even more.

3) What is the common problem with this machine?

Little things are all that went wrong on mine. The inner hub seal and strut casting seal went bad on the left side. Also, the fan temp switch took a crap on me too. Other than that, it eats a lot of brakes, and like Easter Egg said, it is expected since I do too ride in the mud.

4) Would you buy another one?

Yes. I would buy a post 2001 just so I can have the better brake system and all the other little things that were upgraded.

Old 09-23-2002, 03:20 PM
KEP
Trailblazer

I know mine is a 400, but this still applies - its needs the low range transmission. People have put the gearbox from a Xplorer in their Scrambler and acheived what Polaris should have done from the factory. It wouldn't have been a big deal for them at all, maybe as an option. The speed of a Scrambler is great, but there are times when you need less speed and more torque and controlability. With a high/low transmission it would be a true "do-all" ATV.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

I like my Scrambler because it still hangs close to my modded 650 Prairie. It may not be the best mudder and it may not be the fastest. It maybe heavy but it's still fun to drive especially on tight trails. The maintenance is a little more work, due to the dry sump oil reservoir. You also have a seperate transmission with fluid that needs changed. Mine is 2000 and it has yet to be in the shop for service. The only reason I am selling mine is because my wife thinks she needs to park her car in the garage!!!(I guess she don't understand the real meaning for a garage?"

Old 09-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 2x4 500 Scrambler and im quite happy with it, i want a true sport quad though, the scrambler just doent cut it but for what it is its a great easy to ride bike.

1) I love the automatic transmition but i also hate it !

2) Damn Heavy, high center of gravity, handling is not that great. Breaks are weak and spongy but I think this was fixed in later 2001 models thought. Oh and the steering column it attached with pop rivets at the base (not exactly quality) But this was also fixed on later 2001 models.

3) Water on the belt sux. Its ok if you go slow but when you hit a deep puddle at high speed its all over and then you have to sit there and dry the belt for 20mins.

4) wouldnt buy another one, i want a KFX400 and if i wanted an automatic sport/util quad i would wait for the KFX700.

All in all, if you want that type of bike its a good buy but get a late 2001 model at least (you can identify them by braided break lines and bearing at the base of the stearing column), the only problem i had was the starter motor jamed once but that was covered under warranty. I want a KFX400 cause i want a true sport quad not bacause the Screambler is ****.

If i were you id wait for the KFX700 though, it seems to be in the same league as the Scrambler but more refined in every way (quite a bit lighter, more power, better chassis). But if you want 4 x 4 sport the Scambler is the way to go.