Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate tosay this but cannot get anybody to race anymore.Went to a spot where the 400ex's used torace everybody and I made acouple of single passes to warm everything up. After that no one would pull up to the line torace.Even raptors wouldn't race. When I only had the pipe,clutch kit and a twin air filter I was right with the raptors and beat the 400ex. The 400ex with the 440ex is stought so havn't raced oneofthose yet. Between the HPD pipe and the FMF I cannot tell the difference. Was in Arkansas Memorial Weekend and raced a HPD Trail Mod with HPD pipe and it was neck and neck. Whoever got off the line first usually one. I have Ritter Porting on mine and there are more people using Ritter now than HPD.If you call Rick he is first rate guy and he will tell you what to run. Will not sell you somethingyou do not need.

Ronnie

Old 09-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks that is encouraging to know! I have emailed him but haven't got a response yet so I will probably call him soon. Everybody is hyping him up so I hope he is as good as people say he is. So is the top speed with the fmf pretty good or does it lose some due to the pipe being a low to mid pipe? Also if Ritters stuff is so good why is it so much cheeper than the other makers?

Old 09-18-2002, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

The top speed on the pipe seems good. Need to put my GPS to work and get a top speed. I am on vacation this week and will do that and post. Rick probably won't answer your E-mail. Not because he won't he is a very busy person. The best thing to do is call. He has his stuff cheaper cause he does all the work himself. Not very much overhead. His wife helps with the phone and that is the only people I have ever talked to there. No one beats him for service. He called me at 8;00PM when my cylinder was done and ask if I needed any gaskets cause he was shipping it back the next morning. That is customer service. Feel free to ask and I will try and help.

Ronnie

Old 09-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'll second that RCR for the trail mods can't be beat. NO ONE BEATS RICK FOR SERVICE!!!!!!!!

Ken

Old 09-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jumpman

<< My sugestion is to call Rick Ritter at RCR. (CALL HIM,DON'T E_MAIL)
http://www.rittercycle.com/
I would also suggest getting the AAEN performance clutch tuning handbook.
http://www.aaenperformance.com/
>>

Call Him - DO NOT E-MAILHe does not like E mail.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks I am going to call him. ALso I would like to know what you think about taking the snorkel off of my airbox and just letting air come in the two openings that are in there? Or should I just leave the snorkel on. I tried it both ways and it seems like I may have a little more get up and go without the snorkel on but, it may just be in my mind. I have also heard that you can cut the snorkel to add more air. Why wouldn't you just take it off if that is the case? I also heard that if you do take off the snorkel that you can add a third airbox inlet. Is this true or needed? Just wondering about these questions and also wondering what some of your guys set ups are?

Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

The Snorkels main purpose in life is to prevent water intrution. If you are not riding in wet areas or in water you will be fine.
RCR make an airbox mod that does exactly what you are saying.
With his kit you Cut the boot toward the top and clamp in a 2&quot; or 2 1/4 pipe so that your Air inlet stay at the same height.
With this kit you also add a third hole and install a third Grommet. It is also recomended that you cut away all the plastic that is behind the grommets. The plastics in this area again is to prevent water from going directly on your Air filter.

It is not in your mind. This will add some power. It just depend if you can afford the loss of water protection.

Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Bubba was saying about cutting back the boot, you can do that and go to Home Depot and get a short 5-6&quot; straight aluminum tube, drill out the rivets, size it down to fit inside the snorkel, then just hose clamp. You cut the snorkle where the smaller taper ends, and it starts to get larger. You can just &quot;gut&quot; cut out that divider wall, or install the third venturi...that's what Polaris calls them. Anyone who hasn't already taken off their airbox, seal the joints where the rubber boot that leads down to the carb. A small air leak in this area, in really dusty conditions can ruin a motor. Just use RTV. Run a K&amp;N filter with an Outerwear also.

Ken

Old 09-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

Let me see if I am understanding this right. Will the pipe that you insert be about at the same height as where the snorkel would be anyway? If so what advantage does this give you? I see the advantage of taking out the divider plastic inside the box but I am not really seeing what benefit the pipe gives you. This may sound like I don't know much about this and that is correct. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-19-2002, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

LARGER DIAMETER=more air flow
The stock inlet is small.

Like I said If you are not worried about water, take it off. Put it back on if you expect to see wet areas.

Quick Reply: FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts