Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a fmf gnarly pipe and turbine core 2 silencer on my ride and had to do quite a few mods to my quad just to get it on. FMF doesn't tell you that when you buy it. I also am wondering if anyone else has this same set up? What problems if any did you encounter?

Old 09-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

i have a hpd pipe with a fmf turbine core 2 silencer and the silencer mounted up perfectly.

Old 09-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Yeh the silencer does fit fine but, it was the pipe that actually caused all the problems. I had to basically jam the pipe on then make a bracket for it to mount up on the frame. I also had to move my clutch **** up and this made the linkage almost not work.(It still might not work I'll have to wait and see if it breaks or not)It is barely screwed on because it needs to be so much longer than in stock form. I then had to cut my plastic so my shift **** would push forward to go in drive mode. I then rejetted to what FMF said to at a 240 main it didn't work. My stock was already jetted to 240 even though it was supposed to be a 230. (I don't know why that is.)I then rejetted again to a 260 and it is still running lean though not as much as at 240. I think FMF needs to do some more research on the jetting for their pipes!

Old 09-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

CAN YOU RETURN IT

Its too bad you did not research the forum before you bought your pipe.
You would have found out to avoid DG and FMF for the Scrambler.
Alway stick with the POLARIS experts(HPD,RCR,AAEN,HSP).(DO A SEARCH)

You have not RECLUTCHED it either have you. Anyone (except FMF or DG) will tell you that with every performance mod you make the clutching must be matched to the NEW power band. FMF does not make clutching to go with there pipes.
In some instances you can acually make it perform worse than stock.
As far as you jetting I would think 260 would be in the ball park for a pipe and K&N, What make you think it is Lean? Plug Check? Make sure you run it long enough to take a proper reading. Also a new plug should be used.

Old 09-14-2002, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't reclutched it yet I am still decideing who I should go with since I guess you should go with the company that makes the pipe. Do you have any ideas for me since fmf does not make clutch kits. I am going to keep the pipe but, would like to clutch. The pipe and silencer actually are very fast compared to the stock. If I could get the clutch to engage quicker then it would be real good. The plug is looking like it is lean but, I am going to do some more reads on it before I make a final determination of the jetting. I actually did research all the different companies pipes yet I didn't really find anyone personally talking about polaris mods. I just found this forum yesterday. (Too late) I think from here on out I am going to stick with the main polaris makers of mods. The change for me as far as a pipe has already taken place and I would like to keep it but, would like to know what will adapt with it.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

You know its really hard to say, THe main Polaris supplies make a clutch kit that matches the powerband of there Pipe,(Very Important on PVT trans)
My sugestion is to call Rick Ritter at RCR. (CALL HIM,DON'T E_MAIL)
http://www.rittercycle.com/
Maybe he has ran into this pipe before,He will not steer you wrong.
Its not ususlly about Engaging Quicker like you are saying. It is about engaging at the right time for your powerband. You must put that extra power to the rear wheel.
I would also suggest getting the AAEN performance clutch tuning handbook.
http://www.aaenperformance.com/

Old 09-15-2002, 06:54 AM
Range Rover

The FMF pipe is a "low to mid" pipe. Meaning that is where it yields its biggest power increase. So, you don't necessarily need to make big clutch changes. In fact the last guy I helped with this pipe, I actually just gave him a yellow primary spring and he was very happy.

In fact, the fastest Scrambler I've built yet, has that pipe on it too. He's got a whole clutch kit from HPD amongst many other things. I actually ported the motor with the idea that he was getting an HPD pipe for it and getting rid of that FMF. Well, he still hasn't got the HPD pipe yet because he's really happy with how it runs now. It will even beat mine.(HA HA HA) I hate it when I build something faster than mine. I keep telling him IT WILL run even better if he gets the pipe that was meant to be on it. The motor wants "mid to top" end. The FMF wants "low to mid" rpm.

Old 09-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

So the Hpd clutch kit worked well for him with the gnarly pipe and turbine core 2 silencer? My bike now seems to rev some before it actually takes off so I thought a kit would help that aspect or does it just cycle through the gears faster? I am going out to ride today so I can test it out some more. I haven't hardly riden it since I just put the pipe and silencer on it a couple of days ago.

Old 09-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

An HPD agressive clutch kit will most likely engage later.
You will HAVE to hit your Reverse over ride to back up. Reverse will be out of the rev limiter range.
And yes it will also change your shift speed.
I would call RCR and maybe have him make you a clutch kit like that for one of his Low end pipes. Sounds like the FMF would be very close.

Old 09-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Range Rover

You won't really need a whole kit for this. More than likely you'll end up with a slightly stiffer spring in your primary.

Quick Reply: FMF pipe on Scrambler 400 any thoughts