Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tired of Sportsman downtime!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2000, 07:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i where you,I would get it fixed up and trade it on a new or used Honda.At least you will be able to ride and have fun.

Old 03-28-2000, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have got a 1999 polaris sportsman 500 remington edition in the dealer now. the 4x4 doesnt work and they informed me it needs $1000 repair that is not covered by the warranty. it is about 4 months old with 69 miles on it!!!! they said the front driveshaft and gearbox need replacement from abuse. the machine is my sisters-she is about 102 lbs and could barely ride it. any info would be appreciated on this matter. the dealer told me this is a common problem they see with these machines but will not fix it under warranty. nice repair bill for a $8100 machine

Old 03-28-2000, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Does she know you have to be at a full stop and at idle RPM before using the low,high and reverse selector?When I firt tried my bike I was backing up at ony 1 mph and I put it in forward before the bike stopped and the RPM settle down and I herd the ugliest noise I ever heard and $$$$ signs justs crossed my mind needless to say I never did that again.

Old 03-30-2000, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to hear about your downtime.I have a 98 SP500 and have had my problems too.The starter,fan motor and clutch had to be replaced in the first 1500 miles.However,my dealer warrantied all of it!I guess I have a better dealer than most.Don't give up on the SP500.Mine has over 4700 hard(very hard)miles on it now and I haven't had any more problems with it.Happy Trails!

Old 03-30-2000, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Don, it’s hard to know how to respond to your dilemma. First, if your sister is 102# and “can barely ride it” what the hell is she doing on it? An inexperienced, inappropriate operator is more likely to misuse a machine from ignorance than abuse it. Could be that’s the source of your problem.

Lets assume for a moment this machine was only subjected to normal usage by an experienced rider. Then I would say you are being (drive) shafted by the dealer. Get it out of there and take it to a different one. If they give you the same story maybe they’re right. We don’t hear of too many transfer case failures.

Old 03-30-2000, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONWHITNEY,first off,ask the dealer what type of neglect?Than as Flood Runner stated,get it to another dealership.My stupid a$$ sister inlaw road my 99 Sportsman with the parking brake set and burned a complete set of front and rear pads that I just installed,not tot mention the belt.Now its my fault cause I sold her a lemon.If your sister is as intellagent as my sister inlaw,than perhaps it was rider neglect.But dont take the first dealers word for it,see another dealer.Good luck====BILL

00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4
If you want to come in second ''FOLLOW ME''

Old 03-30-2000, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

DONWHITNEY,DUDE,I JUST NOTICED ,YOU ARE MY NEIGHBOR,im from Burton Mi to.Where did you purchase the quad from?Jans,Townline,Chapmans,or Shiawassee Sports center?You need to get ahold of me ASAP.I wont let any of them dealers do you wrong.Three of the four above mentioned dealers have allready dealt with me.They know 'I DONT MESS AROUND''.E-MAIL me,I promise to help you anyway I can,===BILL

OO Xplorer 400cc 4x4
If you want to come in second ''FOLLOW ME''

Old 03-30-2000, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

OH Don,where are you?==BILL

Old 04-03-2000, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

I will be the first to admit all quads have problems but not as many as Polaris. My friend bought a brand new explorer 300 and the same day within 10 minutes it was broken it just stopped running he had only ridden it half a mile at slow speed. Only an hour after he had brought it home and it seems they had forgoten to secure the piston. So it was shot and they made him wait to months for a new engine wouldnt even give him a new one. Polaris makes awesome quads when there running but most of the time their not. I would say the best thing to do if you are set on a Polaris is buy a used one because the new ones will break within a week.

Old 04-03-2000, 11:25 PM
GJ
Range Rover

acrules - give it a rest. Your responces have no intelligent basis. Your just a basher. Some of your posts have even been deleted by the form babysitter. Why dont you try ignoring the polaris form since you dislike them so much.

Quick Reply: Tired of Sportsman downtime!!