Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do alum rims and rocks mix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like those C series wheels, but we ride in nothing but rocks. I asked a dealer that handles the C series and he said they don't hold up well in the rocky terrain we ride in. Do the rim gaurds on the 589 m/s help? Anybody tried these in real rocky conditions?

Old 09-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not familiar with the "C Series" wheels...What thickness are they? Are they rolled edge?

I have ITP .190's on my EX and they are non-rolled edges. They completely suck. I hate to say it, but for any trail riding or anything other than on the road or around the lawn they suck.

I have posted my story on this before, so I apoligize if it is getting old to some people.

To make long story short I have gone on two trail rides with them...The first ride I was being careful since I didn't have a skidplate on, and when I got home I noticed my rims had some dents in them. 2nd ride I went on I was EXTRA careful because of this...still came home with dents/gouges on them.

Like I said though, I am not familiar with the "C Series" and I am guessing they are a utility rim so they are more than likely better. My stock aluminum Banshee rims have held up great and I can not believe the punishment they take.

-Josh

Old 09-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Josh the C-series he is reffering to are utility machine wheels, not the racing type. They are thick billet alluminum.

The more your tire sticks out past the rim edge the better. Of course one little slip and you will damage it. It's a risk you will have to take. If most of your riding is slow technical, then the c-series are a waste of money. The idea is to loose weight in the rim when you add weight with oversize tires. This way your performance doesn't suffer.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Brent said about the tires sticking out. Lots of the tire manufacturers now are making a protective "ballooning" of the sidewalls to help protect those spendy custom rims. Shop around, lots of places have some wheel/tire combos already mounted so you can compare. Like Piranha, I've done some major damage to .190 performance rims...beadlocks, and rims with other reinforment rings do great in this department.

Ken

Old 09-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

Also the C-series are CAST aluminum wheels, not the pressed and stamped wheels we normally see.

With good tires (six ply) and a proper sized rim (2-3"narrower than the tire), you shouldn't have much trouble. Also look at the amount of tire you have between the rim and the ground. I run XCTs on mine as much for rim protection as ground clearance. If in "big rock" country, give the tires a few extra PSI to help the tires ward off the rocks, and protect the rims.