Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

engaging 4wd system with override switch in reverse before downhill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002 | 08:26 PM
|
Range Rover

Hello,

I have read all of the Polaris 4wd system explanations, and think that I understand it, but I have a question about the "reverse override switch". When I am backing up with the 4wd switch on, I'm in two wheel drive unless I'm holding the "override" button in. This makes me assume that the "override" switch just tells the system that "Yes, I really want to apply power to the hub coils right now", and disables the rev limiter. If so, then this would mean that the front hubs can engage when the rear tires spin, even in reverse.
If this is how it works, please explain what happens when some people hold the override button in while backing up, then keep the override button in while changing to forward, and then have downhill braking on all 4 wheels as long as they keep holding the override button in. Since there is no wheel slippage, why doesn't the system disengage?

Thanks,
Lorrin

Old 09-27-2002 | 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you brake, all 4 wheels should brake regardless of whether or not you are in AWD or have the reverse override button in. My advice to you and everyone is to cut out your reverse override button all together. It is nothing but a pain in the *** anyway!!

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

You cant cut out the overide on a 4x4 because the overide button activates the 4x4 light in reverse which has to be on for 4x4 to work.But on the older models(in the 90s)you can unplug the black wire in the wiring block and bypass the overide for backing up.

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:24 PM
|
Range Rover

Kids, don't try this at home...
I can kind of see the reason for the over ride switch anyway. Having to hold it reminds you that bad things may happen if you hold this switch and hit the throttle in reverse. I was picking my RCR stage 1 Scrambler 400 4x4 up from the shop getting jetted once, and was loading it on my trailer. I got it almost into position, then needed to back it up to get lined up with the trailer. I have a clutch kit in it, so it barely moves in reverse unless you hit the over ride switch. There was some packed snow on the parking lot. I pushed the over ride switch, and then the throttle. The rear tires spun on the snow, so the fronts engaged on the pavement, the quad launched backwards, and I flew over the handle bars into the parking lot. I won't tell you how many people were watching (and laughing). I remember thinking, "now I know why they have an over ride" switch.... I now know to be careful on the trail, because when the rear tires slip, and the fronts engage, things happen pretty quickly, and you better be hanging on.

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey ftwflh, I ride a 2001 SCrambler 4x4 and I took my switch out and the 4x4 works fine. All you have to do is solder the two terminals for the override switch inside of the switch housing together and remove the two brass wiper arms that sit there but leave the plastic button in. This will basically trick the quad into thinking that the override switch is being pushed in all the time. The only draw back is that your reverse light will stay on but you can unplug the wire for that light. If you can't tell your in reverse without a light, you shouldnt be riding a quad!!! If anyone does this, just be careful when you pull the switch apart---there are lots of tiny ***** and stuff to lose! And leel, only an inexperienced rider would fall off a quad going backwards regardless of whether it has a reverse button or not.

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:51 PM
|
Range Rover

Yeah, OK

4 quads
3 dirt bikes
2 street bikes
30 years of riding

Old 09-27-2002 | 09:31 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

swampdonkeykiller I knew you could do that but is a lot of trouble.All my overide does now is activate my 4x4 i reverse and all my lights work.It is nice knowing when you start up it isnt in reverse or forward when you get it out of the shed.

Old 09-27-2002 | 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

I got a question for you guys. Once the wheels slip and 4wheel drive engages, when does it disengage ? Besides turning it off with the switch I mean.

Old 10-10-2002 | 01:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default engaging 4wd system with override switch in reverse before downhill?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2002 | 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default engaging 4wd system with override switch in reverse before downhill?

ftwflh, your neutral light still works after this modification and that should be more than enough in case you can't see your shifter. Maybe it didn't seem like alot of trouble to me as I am a Heavy Equipment Technician and deal with this sort of stuff every day! Your right though, a guy shouldn't be monkeying around with that kind of stuff if he doesn't know what he is doing![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]