Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD Split Brake Kit and Florida GNCC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2000, 04:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the split brake kit from HPD. Brought it with me to the Florida GNCC (About 700 miles from home!). When I started to put it on I noticed the "T" fitting was the wrong size. After running to just about every auto parts store in Okeechobee I managed to find the proper "T" fitting.

I get the thing on, First of all the back brakes become WAY too stiff. So I tried the HPD new rear master cylinder....then they are too spongy.

The fronts are also too spongy. Im begining to think its the master cylinders HPD is using.

Im going to take my font master off my 400EX and see if I can get a hose to connect it to the T. IF it works Ill put a 400ex master on there for the front.

For the rear im going to first try to replace the "foot" master cyl with a 400EX one...if that doesnt give me good performance im going to just fabricate a new mount up and mount the 400ex rear caliper on the bike. Now if i put the rear master and caliper off an ex, I know the brakes will work!

--John

Old 03-29-2000, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have'nt had any problems with mine. Of course they had to be bled a few times.

I have the HPD Magura cylinders and like them. This winter I removed ALL the OEM lines/fittings and replaced everything with Goodrich braided steel lines (teflon coated) and chrome Russell fittings. I ran a 30" line from the front cylinder to a "T" connector I mounted to the strut cross member (I ditched my oil tank long ago). From there I ran two more 30" lines to each strut housing and went to a banjo bolt set up. The 30" lines leave lots of room for strut travel and lock to lock turns.

On the rear I scrapped the hardline that runs along the inside of the frame and ran 80" of Goodrich line (I actually had the fit a 50" and a 30" together). This leaves me room to put in up to a +4" swingarm, if I ever need/decide to. I zip tied it to the frame for support. After removing the entire foot brake system I just plugged the hole in the caliper with a bolt.

I still have to put my new EBC pads on all around, and will use Bel-Ray DOT 5 fluid. I also got a set of HPD's new levers that are a bit longer for easier pull. I have a lot of $$ into this set-up and should be able to stop on a dime now!! I hope to get around to putting the pads on sometime next week.

Old 03-29-2000, 01:28 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Jerry, where did you get the Goodrich steel line, Russel fitings etc? Is the goodrich line flexible or do you have to bend it & what length do they come in. When I get a chance I want to mount a mastercyliner on my custom foot brake to lock up both the front & rear & then the hand brake will be only for the fronts incase I'm stuck on a steep hill & dont want to brake the rear end. Since I remounted the foot brake so It's directly under my toes, it is in an ideal location & sometime I dont like loosing my hand grip to apply the brakes w/ my hands so I would like to use the foot brake & the quickest stoping time is w/ both the front & rear simultaniously applied. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 03-29-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I just put on the HPD kit also. I too had the wrong size T fitting. My front brakes are great, but my rear handle pulls into the grip, and doesn't do a thing to stop the quad. I have to hit the foot brake and then I gain some pressure on my rear lever.

I have bled the rears by putting about 4" of some clear tubing on the caliper bleed nut, sticking it into a jar, pouring the fluid into the master cylinder and pumping until no air bubbles are seen. I have done this 2 times, the first time a few bubbles at first, then fluid, the second time, no air, just fluid. I am pumping plenty of fluid to purge the system of air.

I am not happy with the rear brake effectiveness at all, I was hoping for good pressure on my lever and better rear braking for sliding in curves.

If you know of something I am missing, let me know.

thanks

Old 03-29-2000, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I got all my lines through an Easyriders shop here locally. They were great at helping me piece everything together. Any good dealer should be able to do the same.

The lines come in many sizes, mostly in even lengths from 8" and up. If anybody is going to go the route I did its not that difficult. First you need to decide which cylinders you have, I used the Magura's that came in my HPD kit and went from there. The Magura's HPD uses are available through Parts Unlimited.

Old 03-31-2000, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Jerry,
It looks like a couple of us could use some tips on making these magura brake systems a little (lot) better. Tips on bleeding, should the handle come that far back and be kind of spongy ?

Thanks bodineus

P.S- I also received the wrong tee fitting.

Old 04-01-2000, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Ritter installed and set up the kit when I got it. I don't think there is any trick to it, just time.

As far as the braided lines Ronn M. was the first to do it that I know of, and he helped me there. Once I had all the right fittings it was very easy to install. Again, I have still yet to put my new pads on and try them out.

I should have my 400 all back together by Thursday for the true test.

Old 04-01-2000, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

I looked through a catalog once and the Magura cylinders HPD sells were the cheapest cost, and cheapest looking quality wise of all the ones shown. I am tempted to buy a better front master cylinder.

I spent last weekend riding dirt bikes, and now I am spoiled. Even when we hit the sand I could stand it up on the front wheel no problem, if I wanted to that is. On my Scrambler, LOL, I don't even need to go there...

Old 04-02-2000, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

I was out riding today, and the overall rating of the HPD split brake is about a 2 on a scale of 1-10. The front brakes are great, grab like nuts. The rear however, is a different story. If I push on the foot brake, then pull on the rear brake, it just bottoms on the grip. Two pulls and you have good pressure. If while I am holding the brake lever hard, and push the brake pedal, the lever gets pushed back by the pedal, and vice versa. It is really fun trying to ride aggressively and hit the brake 2 or 3 times to stop.

I bled the line with new fluid, removed the rear pedal banjo bolt and plugged the hole in the caliper. It helped, but the lever still has way too much travel, I want my brakes to grab immediately, I like riding with my pointer and middle finger on the lever, it cuts down on response time to brake, and is much easier for aggressive riding.

I don't know if it's the master cyl. or if the design of the Polaris 60/40 brake system is too weak for effective stopping on the rear caliper alone. Just look at other quads rear calipers and brake pad size. They're bigger and yet the other quads are lighter.

I'm going to try the original Polaris master cyl. and see if it is more effective.

If anyone has any hints on what I may be missing, although I can't see what, let me know.

Later

Old 04-02-2000, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

I put the HPD kit on my Expedition. Front brakes are great, but the rear requires a *lot* of pressure, either on the left hand or the foot brake. The guru at HPD told me that I needed to replace the stock Polaris master cylinder with one that he has. I haven't done it yet, but plan to. If you call HPD, I'm sure he will give you the reasons why.

Quick Reply: HPD Split Brake Kit and Florida GNCC