Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sled Pull results and my first ride on a SP600.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sled Pull results and my first ride on a SP600.

There were 3 660s, 2 P650s, 3 700s and 1 600.

1st Place 700
2cd Place 700 (me)
3rd Place 600
4th Place P650 Jason
5th Place 700 (28" Outlaws)

It was my first time to see a 600, and I was impressed. I raced 3 this weekend. I had 27" Blackwaters, and they all had either stock or 27" tires. I think one had 589s and one had gators. I beat all 3 but not by much.

I also got to race Greg Mucmullen's Rincon. On three occasions, I won, and one we were about even. We did not have anyone to start us so we were taking turns saying go. He had 28" Outlaws so that might explain the difference. I think if he had the same size tire, we would have been very close. The Rincon feels slow but it is not. It feels very stable and as Far as I could tell, it is on par with the ride of the Sportsman. It did not feel near as squirly as a 660. I thought I wanted one but Greg says the engine braking sucks and that would be the only reason I would buy one.

Greg

Old 10-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Greg,

Thanks for the update. A few questions. I am trying to figure out what quad to get as a second quad. I will ride it and the wife will once in a while. I have it narrowed down to sp500, sp600, sp700. I can't decide.

Here are a few questions:

1. How bad does the p650(jason), and your sp700 beat the sp500 in a drag? Please give details (I'm used to the power of the 650 and don't want to make the mistake of getting something too slow.

2. Is the ride really that much better (softer) on the sportsman vs the p650 or is it just a little softer? (This is why I'm considering the sportsman. I want a softer ride these days than what my p650 provides)

3. The dealer told me today that if I want the ride even softer on the sportsman to take off the sway bar. That makes sense, but I'm concerned about body roll on trails and off camber climbing. Have you done this and what are the facts please?

4. How much will the 700 beat the 600 and how much will the 600 beat the 500ho in a drag if at all? (I'm still trying to figure out why polaris made the 600. I figure the people who must have/need the 700 will get it and those who don't are adequately covered by the 500.)

Thanks for all your help

Old 10-28-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

As far as ride quality, the Sportsman ride alot better/smoother than the P650. As far as removing the anti-sway, I would not reccomend it if you plen to ride fast at all. In the 100 yard drag, there is no more than 1 lenght difference between the 700 and 600. The same probably goes for the 600 and 500HO. If I were to recommend one over the other, I would recommend the 500HO. On rough trails, your P650 will have a hard time hanging with it. It will jump smoother and be just as stable on off cambers. It will also out mud it if that is what you are into. Now that all the big bores have hit the market, alot of people have sold their HOs to buy one of them. And, alot of people have regretted it. The HO is proven, fast and reliable. While it may not be as fast as your 650 in the drag, in real life situations, it is very close and more comfortable at the same time. I have a 700 and like the power and ride, but the 700s have some issues that still need to be addressed.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the detailed response Greg. It helped a lot. I'm less interested in how close a 500ho will be in a drag with the p650, but I'm more interested in the difference between the 500ho and 700. Sounds like not very much, maybe 2-4 quad lengths? Have you lined up a 500ho with your 700? ????????

I also get the impression by doing endless reading of archives that polaris has ironed out the majority of the bugs in the 500ho and that if someone properly maintains the quad it will serve the owner well.
It seems there are more happy owners with tons of miles than there are upset owners. It is strange though how sometimes people report that dealers tell them that the polaris is in for service more than the other brands.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:19 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Jeff

I highly recomend the 500 and I speak from the experience of owning five in the family (2000, 2001, 2002s) . We have a 2000, 2001 and two 2002s (one 2001 was totaled). The machines are great. I keep them clean and maintained and I have not had a single problem out of any of our 500s. They WILL out mud your 650 because I ride with a good buddy that owns one and he cannot go places I cruise through (difference = grond clearance). The ride is great in rough terrain and the stock Goodyear Rawhide tires are great. My wife rides mine and my dad's when he is not riding and she loves the machine.

I have ridden the 700 but not the 600 Sportsman. I prefered the ride of the 500 to the 700. You need to ride all three and decide for yourself.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

The difference is that the SP500s are not idiot-proof like the old Honda 300s. They require some knowledge or understanding of how the machine operates. They require maintenance and the use of common sense on occasion. If the bike is under a load, use low range. If the water is four feet deep, you belt will probably get wet and slip. It is a liquid cooled machine and constant deep water riding causes the water pump seal to leak due to extreme temp changes and pressure applied to the water pump seal. There are more CV boots so the likelyhood of a torn boot is increased. The front end is not limited slip so if you choose to add aggressive mud tires, you are just as likely to break a CV as you would be if you have a Honda lwith a locker and mud tires. The belt drive Polaris's are not as quiet as Hondas. They have no 4 wheel engine braking. The disk brakes will most probably always work, but there is a price for that. The pads are subject to contaminates and will wear faster than drums, but, of course, if you ride in mud, the drums on the Honda won't work anyway. Buy what you fits your needs. I have a Rubicon for a reason and I have a SP700 for a reason. They each serve a different purpose.

Greg

Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response guys,
Weedy, I am curious why you preferred the ride of the 500 over the 700. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2002, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Now there's some constructive, informative comparisons. Doesn't matter who wins, just ride have fun, and promote the quads.

Ken

Old 10-29-2002, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Greg,

I always appreciate your honest and unbiased opinions. I plan on purchasing a new quad in the next 6 months or so, and I am also torn between the 500ho, 600, and 700. The things that make it hard for me are:

500ho: proven, dependable, great fuel economy, slightly lighter weight

600 and 700: winch mount location, larger better-cooling radiator, radiator cleaning access, in-line shifter, front-end design (gear box)

How do you view the above considerations, and how would they affect your decision if you were me? I plan on keeping the bike mostly stock and using it for everything from trail riding in Arkansas, to hunting, to a little mud riding. Thanks for your input.

Waylan

Old 10-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not Greg but I had the same decision to make and for $500 more than the HO you get everything you mentioned plus. 30 amp battery vs 14amp, chrome wheels, redesigned rear diff with driveshaft, rack extentions front and rear, Torque of the 600 twin. The 700 has all of the above but a little more torque and I couldn't justify the 500 bucks more for just the extra 86cc's

Quick Reply: Sled Pull results and my first ride on a SP600.