Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sled Pull results and my first ride on a SP600.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sled Pull results and my first ride on a SP600.

I thought the 600 was only $400 more. sp500 $6599, 600 $6999

Old 10-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa,
The weight difference for the most part can be explained with the addition of rack extenders and heavier tires and wheels. To me, the inline shifter is not that big of a deal. The only people I have known with shifter problems are people that have force the shifter instead of moving the quad. And, once they understood how the shifter operates, the problem does not reoccur. The fact that you can remove the radiator cover is great on the 700, but not that big an issue if you do not ride mud often. I never had a problem with my 500 radiator as long as I cleaned it between rides. If you are going to keep this bike basically stock, both front end designs are more than sufficient for your needs. Actually, I know someone that just had their front end completely rebuilt on the 700 so it is far from bulletproof.

Snowride brought up some issues. I will address them...

30 amp battery VS 14 amp - the only reason the 700 has a 30 amp battery is that the motor has no compression release and the additional amperage is required. This is not the case on the 500.

Chrome wheels are offered on both quads today as far as I know. And the chrome wheels are not very good quality. it is all I can do to keep the rust off of mine and I do not ride near saltwater.

I do not see the redesigned rear differential with drift to be a benefit. the old design did not need an additional drive shaft. Now, you just have 2 more u-joints to worry about. I have not disassembled a 700 tranny yet, but I understand it is chain driven just like the 500s. But, unlike the 500s, it has a weak spot. The worm gears are wearing prematurely. My neighbor already had his rebuilt. I can feel the gearlash in mine, and I assume the worm gear is the problem.

Rack extensions can be added if desired to the 500.

I am not trying to talk you out of buying the 700, just letting the you that the grass is not necessarily greener. I like my 700 and enjoy the additional power. It would be a hard decision for me also. For most people, I would say buy the 500HO. You probably have enough common sense to keep the 600 or 700 running. Buy what you want, get a warranty give it hell.

Greg

Old 10-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

jefffoxsr
It sounds like your not happy with your P650. If so why not? Do you still ahve those small mudrunners on?

Old 10-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

I LOVE my 650. It is a great machine and serves me very well. I kept the short Mudrunners to keep the machine more sporty and they have worked out very well.

I am looking for a 2nd quad. I want it to be IRS. I want a cushy ride. It seems these days that I spend more time going slow and tackling varied terrain. I think an IRS quad would provide a more enjoyable way to ride that way.

I will probably get the sp500 based on what's been discussed so far. I haven't researched the Grizzly yet though. I like the fact that the grizzly is lighter, but I don't like the water in the belt housing issue (witnessed it myself) and the narrow rear axle. I haven't driven a sportsman or a grizzly, but I would guess that the sportsman is more stable because of how narrow the grizzly rear axle is.

I was looking at a 2001 sp500ho review and the weight listed was 660#. Anyone know how it gained 37#, unless it was a misprint?

Old 10-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Greg,

Thanks for the input.

I believe the rear end of the 700 has straight bevel gears........not worm or spiral bevel gears. Spiral bevel gears are found in the sp500's front end. I'm not sure what kind of gears are in the front end of the 700. Straight bevel gears do not run as smooth or quiet as spiral bevel gears, and this causes the rear end on the 700 to be louder and produce more clatter (from what I've heard).

I wasn't sure what you meant by drift on the rear end of the 700. I do agree about having 2 extra u-joints.

Something else..........I know that the sp500 is chain driven by a large silent chain.......Lots of polaris' transmissions have at least one chain in them (except for some of the oldest models), however, the silent chain in my Xplorer's transmission is used only to power reverse. Gears are used to power high and low range. The output shaft going to the front end of mine and several other models is powered by either a silent chain or roller chain inside the tranny. I'm not saying this applies to every transmission........as I don't know if it does or not........but it does apply to a few that I know of.

I'm only trying to be helpful with the information I've written here.........most of my information comes from diagrams off of partsland.com, combined with my personal experience working on my own wheeler(s).

You have brought up some very good points, and I appreciate it. I still don't know which way to turn though. At least I have plenty of time to decide.

Waylan

Old 10-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure what he was referring to when he said the worm gear failed... maybe the spiral gear in the tranny. I know he was not referring to the front or rear gears. And, i think you may be right on the 700. Meaning the high and low gear may be gear driven and the reverese might be chain driven but I canot tell by looking at the fiche.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

gregsims

The straight shifter is great when plowing since you are constantly going from low forward to reverse.(no more notch). The battery will have twice the capacity before it runs out and the 300 watt charger vs the 250 will help to replenish it quicker. Here were we ride in the winter (dam cold) we use hotgrips, thumb warmer, and even boot warmers, heated visor which all combined will draw a few watts so that big batt and charging system are a blessing in disquise. We also do alot of 2-up riding and i'm sure the twin and extra cc's will produce the torque required without stressing the machine. The point of all this is that just the chrome wheels and extentions added to the HO will bring it up to the same price as a 600 (only $400 bucks more). The three dealers I visited in my area and the polaris website say that the HO does not come with chrome wheels. All I'm saying is there's better value when purchasing the 600. As for better ATV, only time will tell.