Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone had Choke sticking problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002 | 11:55 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Anyone had Choke sticking problem?????

My TBoss choke seems to be stuck. I can't pull it out but maybe 1/8". I tried lubing the cable and working it no luck. I even took the top of the carb off it will not move at all in the carb.

I installed a new spark plug, and boot then a Green Spring to try to get this machine to move and my boss barely goes at WOT, Lucky if I get 20mph on flat ground. Thought it was the spring but reinstalled the stock Blue/Green. No difference in speed except for lack of stall( which I really like). All along I thought it was the spring robbing my power but I couldn't figure how that much.

How do I completely remove the choke from the carb???? I don't even need it now and only used a couple of times in cold weather. Does anyone know the proper valve clearances for the TBoss and I'll be sure to check them while I got the tank off??????

Everything seems ok until I get to any type of incline even minimal my bike keeps revving but just gets slower like I could ride a bicycle faster at ease. If this dosen't fix my problem I'll opt for a new belt to see if it improves...although it is not slipping any at the present time.

Please guys help out with this one.....

Old 11-11-2002 | 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had a similar problem on my 500 Scrambler. The choke would not move more than an 1/8". The machine eventually would not idle any longer. I removed the carb and tried to get the choke plunger out of the carb. It was seized inside the carb. After soaking and working on it for about a 1/2 hour it finally came loose. Upon inspection there was a great deal of corrosion in the bore and plunger. I'm pretty sure the choke was stuck slightly open. I cleaned it up with 1200 grit sandpaper and it moved freely after that. After assembly I found the machine idled great and the choke works right now. I pull the choke out and back in every time I use the machine now just to keep it from seizing again.

You have to be really careful removing the choke plunger from the carb. I found removing the the carb from the machine gives more access but it is imposible to get a wrench square on the retaining nut. A slight angle is necessary. BE VERY CAREFUL not round off the retaining nut. Once the nut is loose, the plunger assy should slid out of the carb. If it is seized, I suggest you spray with a penatrant like liquid wrench. On mine, I had to pull the spring back and use a small screwdriver in the slot on top of the plunger to work it back and forth until it broke free.

As far as the valves, I haven't messed with them. My service manual describes in detail how to check and adjust them but I am sure they are different from your machine.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2002 | 01:20 AM
|
Trailblazer

One more question if the choke is stuck closed can you see the brass plunger(I guess) and there is no opening in the little hole. By the way I found out my major overall running problem. After removing the top of the carb bowl, I found that the spring was out of place and had worn a small tear in the rubber boot. I'll get a new boot, try her out and I'll bet all my apples it fixes my problem. Then the green spring goes back in. We will see what happens.... Thanks for all your help...