Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do I get to the plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get to the plugs?

HELP!

I went on an awesome 7 hr ride yesterday but it ended on a sour note!
My quad began to backfire and bog (NO POWER) only allowing me to hobble home at 5mph. It wld NOT open up if I had to guess it was reving up to about 2000 rpm and then break up. My buddies thought it sounded like my plugs got wet??? Anyone else experience this? clogged fuel filter maybe? I checked the air filter and it was fine.

I got back too late to start taking things apart, goin thru the manual real quick I cldnt find anythng showing me where the plugs are located. Can someone PLEASE give me a heads up on the best way to taking them out?

TIA!

Old 11-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Remove the seat and take off the side panel on the right side of the machine ( as if you were sitting on the seat ). It helps to take the left side panel off also so as to let some light in so you can see better. You access the plugs from the right side. The plug closest to you is the easy one, the far one takes a little more effort. You can get them out with the tools in your tool kit but I have found that it's a little easier if you have a spark plug socket with a swivel head , a rachet and a short extension ( about 2 or 3 inchs long). When I put them back in I use the spark plug socket in the tool kit ( it has a rubber insert that will hold the plug in the socket) and start them in by hand so as not to cross thread them. DON"T CROSS THREAD THEM. It get's easier the more you take them out and put them in. You'll see the plugs towards the front of the engine just to the rear of the fender. Then after you have them finger tight, use the socket and rachet to snug them up. Always take them out and put them in when the motor is cool. I will say that I have had my 700 in some pretty deep water and the plugs have never got wet. It's probably a good place to start though. While your in there check to see if the intake boot is cracked ( usually on the bottom of the boot). That's the rubber boot that goes from the carb to the engine.

Old 11-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

02Polaris700-

I would check the intake boot first. My wheeler never backfired before that was ripped. I would also check the plug wires. Mine broke in the plug boot. I took off the boot and the copper connector was still on the plug. This happed about 17 miles from camp, which is already about 13 miles from town. I used a stick and a zip tie to hold the spark plug boot on and rode it home.

SpruceDeuce

Old 11-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Ok Thnx A LOT guys!

Ill check the boot first and then the wires, hoping it either of those two. I mean if its a wet plug it shld dried up overnight no? I tried starting her up after getting out of work and its still bogging after (approx)1500-2000 rpm.

I was in some pretty deep water myself yesterday (just over the top of the fenders) but I wld think if it were fouled/wet plugs it wld of happened right when I got out. Well, that wasnt the case.

If anyone else has ANY other opinions feel free to comment!

TIA!

Old 11-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I checked the intake and carb boots and havent found any cracks.....I even flexed the boot a lil while checking. Shld I just take it off to get a better look at the bottom if its a small crack I guess its possible Im just overlooking it. How difficult is it removing the intake boot, is there enough flex to remove it w/out taking the carb off? Also I heard there might be a recall on one of these boots, anyone here read about that?

TIA!