Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn 2500 Multi or 3.0Ci??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 2500 Multi or 3.0Ci??

I just bought a 03 SP600 Twin, and I'm really having a hard time deciding what winch to put on the machine. First off, even though Polaris says they have a multi-mount kit for the 2500, I'd really like to see a picture of the 2500 multi-mount on a 03 Sportsman 700 or 600. It just seems like the opening in the bumper is WAY too small to have room for all that. If anyone has this setup on a 03 600 or 700, please post pic's!
Warn's website also says they have their own multi-mount kit (which is different from the Polaris setup) for the 600 Twin, but again, that space in the bumper just doesn't look big enough.
IF the multi-mount will actually fit, THEN the question is...........do I choose the MM2500, or go with the new 3000lb 3.0Ci? The 3.0 seems to be a superior design, and seems to be more bulletproof than the 2500 that comes on the Multi-Mount system. It looks like I can get into a 3.0 for under $500, whereas after I buy the MM and front and rear brackets for it, I'm probably close to $750.
Looking back to all the times I used my winch on my 00 SP500 over the past 3 years, and there were MANY times it was used, I always got out of trouble without needing something on the back. I know I've had my buddies pull me backwards with a tow strap before, but I've never NEEDED a winch on the back. There have been a number of times though, that I NEEDED more pulling power out of my winch. I finally got fed up and bought a ****** block, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

One last concern that I have of the Multi Mount system is noise. It seems to me that the Multi Mount system would be prone to rattling, since it isn't tightly bolted down. That would REALLY get annoying after a few hours on the trail. If you have the 3.0 or Multi-Mount, especially on the new 600 and 700 bumpers, please post your thoughts!

Arcosanti

Old 12-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hmmm, I guess I'm the only one who has ever wanted to put either of these winches on this machine. Well, if anyone is interested, I bought the 3.0, now I just have to wait for it to get here and see if it will fit. I'll let you know, and try and figure out how to upload pics as well.

Arcosanti

Old 12-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

hey arco, i ordered the 2.5 ci warn winch with the multi-mount, am still waiting for them to come in. send pics when u get yours set up. im putting it on the sp700. yoopermike

Old 12-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

Arco,

I believe that you did buy the superior one...in this case I think the latest is the greatest. I sure do wish that we could get these things for less $$...I mean we spend so much on the ride and then turn around and spend more on the hop up or add-ons...oh well ride on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I agree it does seem like a lot of money for a lil motor w/ a wire spool attached to it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Im real close to ordering me a Ramsey 2500# winch but Im holding off till I get a response about a possible discount via a group buy Im trying to set up....The only thing that kept me away from those multi mount kits is there mounting area. The front of my 700SP has a specific area out of the way of anythng for a winch and thats where I want my winch. The MM kits Ive seen puts the winch out and lower than stock, this thing is a behemoth already in the woods I dont need anythng else protruding out.

I recently priced out a SuperWinch 3000# cuz someone on this forum (or another) keeps raving about how great his SW 3000# has been treating him and he saved $100+ to boot! Well, unfortunately they dont make a mounting plate for the 700SP yet so its not an option right now. Has anyone retrofitted a SuperWinch 3000 to their 600/700SP? At $300 for a 3000# winch it wld be a good buy!

Old 12-07-2002, 03:52 AM
Trailblazer

I chose the 3.0 over the Multi for a couple of reasons.
First off, I just don't see how it can fit into the space for a winch without sticking way out in front. I don't want my winch being my bumper.
Secondly, I know that darn thing will be rattling around, especially when I'm out on the rocky trails at Moab. Rattles drive me crazy.
Third, I had a really psychic feeling that my nice winch would easily grow legs if it weren't locked onto my bike. And if it were locked onto my bike, I know darn well I'd lose the key. The dealer said he has had to re-order 2 winches for people who had theirs stolen.
And fourth, I couldn't justify the extra 300 bucks or so, just in the off-chance that I will need to back out of a situation. I've gotten by for the past 3 years without needing to back out, I figure I can go a few more.

But if that darn thing would fit really nice and snug in the opening, I would have ignored all my reasons and put the thing on. But without picture proof that it will fit, I don't believe it.

I'm supposed to get the new winch on Tuesday, I'll keep you posted.........

Arcosanti