Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any snow-packed radiator solutions???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any snow-packed radiator solutions???

I absolutely LOVE playing in the deep stuff come wintertime on my 00 SP500. But I've burned out one radiator fan already by having snow packed in there too tightly, to the tune of $250 if I remember correctly. And any snow addict like myself knows that when you get the radiator clogged with snow, the engine overheats. And I can tell you from experience that when your fan burns out, and your engine overheats, your engine dies, and you have a long, long walk home in deep snow. I'm not talking about prancing around in 4 or 5 inches of powder, I'm talking busting 6' drifts at 30MPH until there are no more drifts to be found. I am fully addicted to drift-busting, so avoiding the drifts to save the radiator is not an option.
Has anyone come up with a good solution to keeping the snow from clogging the radiator fins? Is it a simple matter of zip-tying some cardboard or even plexiglas to the front radiator grill so that the snow doesn't get packed in from the front, or will it just pack itself in from the backside. When you have the snow packed in there tight, the radiator fins aren't getting any airflow anyways, so covering the front with plexiglass shouldn't be any worse, right? My current solution is to just stop every now and then and dig the snow out from behind the radiator so the fan can still operate and doesn't burn out, but the front of the radiator is still one solid sheet of ice/snow, so the fan can't really be doing too much cooling.

I'd certainly like to hear some tips on what other people are doing to keep the snow out.....

I've just bought a 03 SP600 Twin, and CAN NOT WAIT for the deep stuff to come so I can go play!!

Arcosanti

Old 12-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

Park the Sportsman and hit the drifts with a 600 Indy Classic!

Old 12-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

if you haveing problems with snow in the front buy a front bumer guard or sell the piece and buy a honda or yamaha or suzuki

Old 12-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

:2001AWARRIOR..Sure is nice to know that the rice burners do not get snow in their radiators.Probalby because they will Not start in cold weather.By the way what does the A in your name(2001AWARRIOR)stand for as#**ole???????Also why do you spend so my time on the polaris forum??COULD YOU BE A WANNABE????GET A LIFE ..REAL MEN RIDE POLARIS ATV,S !!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Old 12-03-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

no its not a is ia which stand for iowa 4 of my friends ride polaris and they all want sumtin diff without the belt... nd the 4wheel drive... i rode them and it sucks compared to my rubicon... but its my opinioin and i know that some polaris are good and not junk my opinon...

Old 12-03-2002, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Ummmmmm, I have a front bumper, and my riding partners have a Rubicon, Foreman and Rancher. Their biggest concern when I told them I was getting a new ride was "Are you going to have a winch!?!?"
Take a wild guess as to who winches who..........

Arcosanti

Old 12-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

I suggesy covering the protection screen with a piece of cardbord. In the cold temps you will not need all the air that comes through the screen to keep it cool and it will prevent the snow from packing in. Another really cool trick that we use up here is to tyrap a crazy carpet to the skid frame (they only cost about 5 bucks. Cut it to suit your skid plate) Its amazing the difference in sliding over the snow. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.

Old 12-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Warrior-
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you are a quadraplegic who is attempting to type with a Q-tip taped to your forehead.

Arcosanti

Old 12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Snowride-

What do you mean by a Crazy Carpet. One of those plastic roll-up sleds?

Arco

Old 12-03-2002, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

YEP that would be the one.

Quick Reply: Any snow-packed radiator solutions???