Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV PULL, who is the baddest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
I have been invited to take my 2000 Grizzly into a weight pull. I have a friend that would give me his Bear Claw Tires and rims. Well here is the problem. In this weight pull i could easily win it if, what you say? The bikes are going to me measured by there CC's and not there weight.Well of course i will get my *** kicked by tanks like polaris sportsman and the big Diesel and the bombardier and not to mention others. Why because the grizzly is only 600 pounds compared to the 700 pound plus of the other machines. In weight pulls you need lots of weight, not just pure power which i have over all except the Diesel. On flat ground i have tested my grizzly and it pulls all 4's until one lifts into the air. So there you go i have a nice light bike compared to the overweight ohters, so i will not compete knowing i will lose. No wonder i can run circles around these other models, but were not racing at speed in pulls.
WEIGHT AND TORQUE ARE THE KEY AND IF YOU ARE MISSING ONE YOU LOSE. THE GRIZZLY IS THE BIGGEST AND THE LIGHTEST BIG BORE, GO FIGURE.
Lets get some intelligent comments, and facts. DO i lie? No i don't need to.

Old 04-04-2000, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Throw a bag of sand on the back of it.

or is that against the rules?

Old 04-04-2000, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think you will have too much of a problem with pulling. The Grizz is a very good machine in pulls that I have seen.

On another part of your post you mentioned the Polaris Diesel. As unbelievable as it sounds, they are not that great in sled pulls. They have tons of power, but they don't make the wheel speed needed to pull the sled down the track. My Polaris dealer enters pulls all the time. They used the diesel the first year it came out and found it less effective then the Sportsman.

Let us know how everything turns out in the end. Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder how a 400 XPLORER would do in a pull? they are light 588lbs, and have great wheel speed. Question is do they have enough torque to get out of the hole? According to HPD they have 37hp stock at the rear wheels, thats almost twice that of the Sportsman! Dynojet claims Sportsman has 18.8hp stock, Grizzly has 23.2hp. Who do you think would win Xplorer or Grizzly?

Old 04-04-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Your post has some interesting undertones. Why come to the Polaris forum to complain about your Grizzly not being able to win sled pulls? If that’s your main priority in a machine buy one that wins. If you think the rules and qualifications are out of line with reality then petition the organization that sponsors them for a change. If you can add weight to the machine and win then do it. But why would you come here and whine about not being able to win? Oui?

Old 04-04-2000, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

YEA, What he said?????

Old 04-04-2000, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

If you look at the stats on the Griz v's the SP 5 you'll find that the sportsman has more H.P. plus the true 4WD which the Yamadog ain't got. As far as the weight difference, check out all of the hardware involved with the rear suspension you'll find most of the difference there.

God SPEED!

Old 04-04-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

SportsmanDave, I was the proud owner of a 98 Sportsman500 till just a few weeks ago when I got a pair of 00 XPLORER'S. So don't take this wrong, where did you get your hp facts? The only place I ever found them was at Dynojet.com and they list the Sportsman at 18.8 and the Grizzly at 23.3 both at the rear wheels. Just curious where you got the info cause I would love to rub it in on some local Grizzly owners!

Old 04-04-2000, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

I think the Grizz could pull better than the explorer cuz 1. 4 strokes make better low end power than two strokes and the explorer may be geared alittle higher. Oh and the explorer makes 37 at the crank not at the rear wheels.

And yeah, from all the dynos I seen the grizzly makes about 22 to 23 hp at the RW and the sportsman makes 18 to 19.

Old 04-05-2000, 07:04 AM
Trailblazer

MNX,The two machines were compared head to head two years ago in a atv mag.,I'm not sure which one. The sportsman with 100cc's less had two more hp.

Quick Reply: ATV PULL, who is the baddest.