Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ol' coot, new here

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 02:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ol' coot, new here

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hi All, just found this forum day before yesterday & had to read quite a bit before I stopped long enough to actually join in. I've had my current dirt ride, the '02 Sp500 Silver, since mid-July. Just reached 300 miles on the odometer last Sunday and the only problem I've had that I haven't seen covered in here was that I somehow managed to break off a grease zerk in the u-joint at the rear of the front prop shaft. Dealer took care of it, no charge, and only one morning of downtime.
First question I have - has anyone tried both Uni and K&N filters on a 500 HO and which was preferred/why ? Come spring, I plan/hope to change air filter, exhaust, and try some clutch spring changes. Thursday last week se IN got enough snow for me to tryout the new blade and I was pleased w/result. It's not so much what you ride - just that you DO ride, but I figure I'll stick with HD and Polaris long as I can still swing a leg over :-)

Old 12-12-2002, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum oi' coot.we use the k&n filter in our 500's.You may want to check into EPI SPORT UTILITY clutch kit.We like it best for trail riding and utility work like plowing snow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Good ideal to ditch the stock paper filter,
the sooner the better.
The uni is better in very dusty area's,
the K&N is better at keeeping water out.
I use the K&N wiyh outerwears.

I have the Heelclickers clutch kit,
it does away with belt-slip
and you dont have to keep shifting to low.
I cant compare it with EPI since I never had one.
I think I might try the Daltons or EPI kit next
or maybe get one of my buddies to try it ,so I can see the differance.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input. I just might go ahead and get a K&N right away, then make sure I've also got a UNI on hand for when it gets dry & dusty around here again.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt get the K&N filter I run both a K&N on my 425 and a UNI on my 400 the UNI seems to filter better and not need cleaned as often. As for a pipe and springs check my signeture and the way my 425 is setup I really like it and would recomend it for any 425 or 500 Sportsman. The complete clutch kits are ok if you need the persision inthe shifts but I have found that a simple spring change and secondary adjustment does fine. I am from S.E. IL. and ride over at Spurgen IN at least once a month. We are heade that way this sunday. Brad