Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mini Quad question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 06:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Quad question

My son is 8 yrs old and he has an Eton TXL 50. It's obviously not a Polaris, but it is a Polaris based quad. He has been hinting around that it's not fast enough and that he wants a Predator 90. I don't think I'll step him up to a 90, because the 50's and 90's are the same bikes except for the engine displacement and the tire size. In other words, he will outgrow the 90 just as quick (as far as body size). My question is, what can I do to speed this thing up a little? I think it's fast enough, but after riding mine, he doesn't think so. I already took the restrictor out of the exhaust. I thought about pulling the baffle out of the silencer, and jetting the carb, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I don't want to spend alot of money on this quad, but I would be willing to spend a little. I checked out the Simmons Racing web site, but all they have listed are stage kits. I would maybe buy a pipe and clutch kit, but I don't see them listed seperately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2002, 07:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

8 year old plus speed equals trouble!

my Scrambler 50 (two-stroke) has more than enough power. in fact, i have had to set the throttle twice to make the machine go slower!

letting an 8 year old fly around on a Trailboss is nuts.

i sincerely hope you have either good health insurace or a life insurance policy for the son.

Old 12-14-2002, 07:47 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing and when I got to looking around for a machine that fit all my wants I ened up getting my son a new Yamaha Breeze.It was more expensive than I really wanted be turned out to ge a great machine.Not too big and will run with the big quads.And it does have an idle set screw to slow it down until he learns to handle the 125cc power.BTW i got this when my son was 9 and it fit him good and he is small for his age. Brad

Old 12-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

I would never let him fly around on my Trailboss. He has only rode it by himself a couple of times, around the yard very slow, with me standing over him. I should have said riding on the back of mine (with me driving). The reason he wants it to be faster is because he runs it at the local drag strip, and some of the other 50's are hopped up. I should have mentioned this in the first post.

Old 12-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

Hey. My daughter has the Kasea 50. These minis all supposedly use the same engine so I would think this would help. This is a reply I got from Raptor70...he is like a mini quad guru.
On the power deal, you need to replace the air cleaner with a K&N RU-200 or a Uni two stage foam filter. Then remove the top of the carb and eliminate the bronze sleeve found between the carb top and slide. Next, drill the main jet to .032" and you will have a ton more power.
Also check out Hetrick Racing.

The 90 and 50 use the same bottom end, to make the 50 into a 90 you can bolt on the cylinder and piston from the 90. There is also a 105cc kit that I think is under $200. I am told that changing the pipe makes a major difference. The pipe on there now looks like a 4 stroke pipe...there really is no shape to it at all. A two-strokes pipe is what shapes the power. Hope that helps!
-ps-
I'm pretty sure you can order that K&N from Advance Auto or Autozone...if not I'm sure Hetrick or one of the others can get it.
One other thing...if you have the 50, you can use the front sprocket from the 90, which is probably one or two teth larger and probably gives more tourque. I'd think that after a pipe, jetting, a K&N and maybe that larger sprocket it would rip pretty good!
Check this out!!

Old 12-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

you could probably give it to somebody that makes pipes just for your bike, and have him build one. iv seen them put pipes that looked like ftz pipes lol you could also prbabaly buy a jet kit for it. and like MASCMAN said put a bigger sproket on the front.

when i was 9 i was bomben around on a 200x!! so let him rip it up

Old 12-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 9 year old daughter rips it up on her modded LT80, and it runs GOOD! I bought it when she was 7. The sand bar or something equivalent is a good place to practice all the time. if he's been riding for awhile, I think you should give him some more. Do you have a buddy or friend that has a 80 or 90? if so let him ride it and see what he thinks. What I really liked about the LT80 is that I bought wheels/tire combo and the front end extension kit, and that widened it 4 inches in the back and 6 inches in the front. That changed everything as far a being safer. Bubba

Old 12-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

Also try www.poliniusa.com they have pipes and such for etons.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys.!