Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator chain rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002 | 01:42 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default predator chain rattle

My chain seems to rattle alot at low speeds, or when bogging through a higher gear. Is this normal, its kind of annoying really. Sound like its coming from the chain guides and rollers. Tightened up my chain, it seemed to quiten down a little, but still rattles like crazy. Guess Ill just have to keep it wide open. LOL. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 12-19-2002 | 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i know what your talking about i heard the same thing nothing to worry about how did you break your machine in.

Old 12-19-2002 | 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

it is an annoying grinding noise coming from the around the countershaft sprocket area when a too high og gear during slower-speed maneuvers
or when the back off the throttle and got back on...
the noise come from the chain making contact with the roller guide at that location,keep it braked-in safe and keep an eye on the chain tension,a recall is maybe possible.

Old 12-19-2002 | 11:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Like it was posted, keep the chain tight, maintain the machine, install the Polaris/White bros silencer(just engough db, cancels it out) and ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I think some of it also originates in the trans due to the extremely tight tolerances. Once again, I think break in will take care of that too.

Ken

Old 12-19-2002 | 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

how did you guys break yours in and about how many hrs so far if you have the pred..............

Old 12-19-2002 | 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same problem with chain noise near the front spocket while at the lower rpms . I tightened my chain but haven't ridden since. I'd really like to know exactly what is causing the noise. I was assuming it was chain slap on the unusually hard chain guide. I've seen some strips that come on aftermarket skid plates that might quiet things down. Don't know if that is whats causing though.

Old 12-20-2002 | 12:27 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Just did my first oil change. I have about an hour riding time varying the throttle and shifting through gears. Going to ride easy for about another 10 hours, change oil again and then its ***** out. Then I'll see what this baby can really do.

Old 12-20-2002 | 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

why so long 10hrs when the manual says after 3hrs total or first tank of gas then ***** out

Old 12-20-2002 | 12:47 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Just a thought on the 10 hrs, doubt i can hold out that long, If you know what I mean. Probably like you said badazzpred, 3 hrs sounds alot better to me.

Old 12-20-2002 | 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

so are u hearing like a gearing noise up front around the crankcase exspecially at lower speeds cause i hear something like that also did u have any radiator fluid leaks yet also u know about the recall on the front brake caliper bolts right............................

Quick Reply: predator chain rattle