Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Picked up my Troy Lee Predator Last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my Troy Lee Predator Last night!!

Due to the extreme icing conditions I barely made it the usual 1+ hour trip to Rice Lake where my Troy Lee Predator was sitting before they closed. I had them load it up since I hadn’t driven a manual ATV in over 10 years and because of the skating rink that was once a parking lot.

The first stop I noticed a menacing hawk like creature staring back at me through the rear view mirror. This thing will be fun to catch tired passengers off guard late at night. Don’t know if it gives the same Aura off a Silver one though.

We finally made it home a couple hours later after checking up on a trucker that did a 180 and almost rolled into the ditch. He said, “ I was doing 40mph and when I looked out my side window the trailer was passing me then everything spun.” A couple more feet and he would have rolled! He definitely had angels watching over him last night and kept all but the cab and his coffee safe! Hope everything goes smoothly for him.

Anyway I finally pulled up to the garage and backed the Predator out of my pick-up. This thing is wide!!! My Sportsman has room to spare side to side on the ramps I borrowed but the tires on the Predator hung over each side making me a bit nervous. It’s the perfect width so that it still rolls smoothly between my wheel wells with just about 1/5’’ to spare.

I started it and let it idle for a bit and noticed a lot of metallic valve train noise. I took it for a real short ride up the road and back and then pulled it into the garage to recheck the oil. It sounded like there wasn’t a drop in it, but the dipstick said it was where it was supposed to be.

After supper my brother and I took another ride and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!! This thing wants to fly! I was as gentle as I could be and this ATV just takes off. I can’t wait to really open it up after it’s broke in! The ride at the moment it stiff but I like it, also the way it slides in corners is so smooth.

The only problems I have right now is the noisy valve train and the fact that I have the whole week next week off and no one in the area will have oil and filters for up to 2 weeks!! Grrr my regular schedule it 1 out of 14 days off so next week could have been a blast. L

How long before the valve train quiets down? Right now I only have probably a mile on it so I’m not expecting it to be silent yet but I do not remember our Sportsman making much noise when we bought. Then again this is a new engine.

Old 12-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

TLD,

The Predator's styling is wicked cool. I love how it has that "bird of prey" look.

As for oil....call a mail order place today and have them FedEx overnight what you need. Heck, it's worth an extra $20 or whatever to be able to go out and enjoy your new ride!

When you get a chance, post some pics on your photo gallery page here.

Congrats on the new ride and have fun!

Old 12-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heinen's in Mn has both oil and filters...I'll PM you their number. Too bad I just hauled mine from Mpls to Chicago today, could've brought some with[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ken