Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP700 airbox mod???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP700 airbox mod???

Right after the 700s came out and the P650s were beating them in the drag, a Polaris Industries Rep. told me to cut the airbox snorkel before it tapers off and rejet and it will make a big difference. Have any of you guys tried this and if so what jet did you go to and what were the performance imporvements if any?

Old 12-27-2002, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

I know of one person that tried this. It didn't work out to well for him. Even after rejeting for full throttle the part throttle calibration didn't seem to work very well. It was to lean. I think the only way to make it work right would be to find another needle that give the right amount of fuel at part throttle loads. Even at full throttle the bike didn't seem to gain any power. He put the stock intake back on the bike and is much happier with that performance.
If anyone else has had better results please let us know how you got them.
Good Luck.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have done this on a SP500 with good luck. I just thought I would ask before I go to cutting. I am sure someone has done the "trial and error" part of the job???

Old 12-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would remove lid and start with 195-200 main. will notice some intake noise with quite muffler. we have modified engine and cust exh. and had good sucess removing lid and 200-205 main in cool weather .where in est tx.are you from? Have you been to shilo ridge?

Old 12-27-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I live outside of Tyler. I have been to Shiloh many times and happen to have had one of my worst accidents there to the tune of $2000. We ride mostly in the mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas. We have a pretty good group of diehard atvers that camp and ride every 2-3 weekends and do day rides about every other weekend. We have a guy with a Kawa650 that smokes our Polaris's. We may need you to show up and eat his luch a few times to humble him a little. Hydro just added NOS to his SP500HO and he took Jason's 650 last time but the 650 had 27" Blackwaters and the HO had 25" Rawhides. We ride pretty extreme terrain. You should join us sometime.

I have a Dyno144 in the quad right now and I am 2 tunrs out on the pilot with stock needle height and stock snorkel. I do not want to remove the lid altogether but just cut the last 6" off, just the tapered portion. I am not sure what Dyno jet to use. I may have to switch back to stock and just buy a few larger jest and play with it. I also have a AAEN pipe that is not installed yet. That may help also. I am not looking for much. Just enough to pass Jason's P650.

Greg

Old 12-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Greg. Dont know about the dynojet stuff. But heres a couple of things that will surely hep perf on sp700s though. Cam and ign timing are set to tone down the bottom end .The sp600 gets a more agressive timing curve with more base timing to help with bottom end because of smaller eng. And also gets another250 rpm on the top before the limiter kicks in which raises it from 6500 to 6750 .Two ways it will help sp 700. (counterbalance shaft/bearing flex/failure appears to be a concern of mfg 7000 rpm and above.) Second Eng could stand more cam, but with existing limiter just advance cam to make the most of available rpm range(idle-6500) Stock the cam is retarded 13-14 degrees (ours was 123.5 int ctl cam was ground on 110 degree sep angle) again this was done in an attempt to kill bottom end. Its a wonder they run as good as they do. A little more compression wouldnt hurt either, several ways to do this. Stock advertised comp rat.is 9.78:1 from factory. We measured and figured ours at 9.32:1. Base gasket alone is worth approx. .5 pt. Cam is a hydralic grind stock. We had Web Cam fix up a cust solid grind,with more dur and lift on a 114 sep ang installedon 110 4adv now we need limiter raised to prob about6900-7000. Any eng tech questions onsp500/700 feel free to ask built and modified both.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer

hope this isnt a redundant question.....isnt the timing curve controlled by the cdi box? and if so wouldnt it be an idea to swap boxes out of a 600 to a 700?

Old 12-28-2002, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

If this is turning into a engine performance thread then an obvious choice would be a swap to a 600 cam. The 600 cam has the advance that Modman talked about earlier. I would be carful about going to a higher lift cam on the 700. The valve springs seem to be on the edge as far as coil bind now. If Modman is using a higher lift cam then he must have springs with more clearence. I would also be concerned about removing the base gasket. Squish would get very tight in the combustion chamber, and detanation may be a problem unless you were careful about the fuel you were using. The biggest performance increase I know of is a switch to a twin pipe. Even if it is just a bolt on mod the twin pipes seem to really make a difference.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 12-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]GREGSIMS You may want to check out HOT SEAT PERFORMANCE.They make a complete speed kit for the SPORTSMAN 700.Tuned header,silencer, jet ,k&n filter clutch kit and a high flow intake for the air box.Or you can order any of these parts seperatly.WWW.HOTSEATPERFORMANCE.COM

Old 12-28-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Modman,
So, would is your recommendation? 600 CDI and Cam? What about Scottabosha's concerns?

Greg

Quick Reply: SP700 airbox mod???