Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp 700 landed on me - 6 days in hospital

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sp 700 landed on me - 6 days in hospital

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I was climbing a hill on my sp700 and it reared over backwards on me. This happened on 12-21. I didn't go to the hospital till 12-22, (200 miles from home), I spent 6 days in the hospital, 2 of those in intensive care. Lacerated spline, 2 broken ribs, plus the usual assortment of swelled and bruised limbs. The 700's at the dealership. Their not done with their repair estimate yet but it's not going to be cheap. Probably over 2 grand. MAN! What A Christmas! I'll be 56 in 5 days and I'm finding out that it hurts a lot more than it used too. I'm not looking for sympathy (lord knows, I've got enough of that), but I'll be finding out how well the insurance company handles it and how long the repairs take, etc. etc.. That will probably be some helpful info to pass along.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:03 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I flipped my 2001 Sportsman over backwards and luckily jumped off before it crushed me. My machine was totaled with $5800 in damage. I highly recomend insurance for new machines because mine was eight months old when totaled. I hope you get better soon and be careful on steep hills. I am much more cautious now.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Hope you get better soon. I wish you and your ride a speedy recovery. Wow that's a lot of machine to come down on you. Keep us posted on your recovery and don't worry about your machine, it can be fixed.

Old 12-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

Very sorry to hear about your accident[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Hope you have a rapid and complete recovery. The possibility of such an episode has been in the back of my mind ever since I traded up from the TrailBllazer to a Sp500. I'd rolled the 250 over sideways on myself in a creek shortly before I traded, but the only damage was a badly sprained wrist and a very dented ego. I was thankful the water wasn't any deeper as the bike pinned my right ankle to the bottom until my riding buddy came back to help. I've just recently got into the habit of wearing a helmet. I think many of us could stand to be a bit more cautious. There are times & places where WFO is okay, but NOT everywhere all the time.

Old 12-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hope ya feel better soon..... and if it's totaled, Can I have your engine? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I could use a little more boost! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Trailblazer

On my 700 I have rollbar (I am from Israel and it is mandatory by low) It saved me a few time as well a few friends of mine. The rollbar is also usfull for bags for extra room we have a few companies that manufacrur special bags for rollbars. If anybody is interested I can email some pictures.

Avi

Old 01-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I would recommend to anyone climbing steep hills on any of the Sportsmans, to tighten up the rear suspension on it. At least one click, preferably two. It will stop the machine from dipping or squatting in the back. This adjustment will make a world of difference. We've done it on all our quads, plus some people we ride with have also.

Try it, you'll like it.

Scott

Old 01-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verypicky, all I can say is that I hope I can even ride at 56 years old. I'm sorry to hear about that accident and hope you get well soon. Bubba

Old 01-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Text I've just recently got into the habit of wearing a helmet
I think this should be first on everyones list of to do every time we ride.I have rolled both of my quads and have been lucky not to have been hurt more than scrapes and bruises.I try to make all the young guys I ride with wear helmets when we ride but they think it is uncool . Very Picky I hope you heal up fast and arent in too much pain. Brad

Old 01-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

Thanks to all for your concerns. I'm starting to feel a little better after 2 weeks. The ribs take a long time to heal ( I hear). I'm just happy that the doctors let me keep my spleen, although I'm not completely out of the woods on that deal yet. . I had 4 doctors at one time and each of them asked me at least twice if I was wearing a helmet. I finally convinced them that I was when I told them it was black. My dealer called and the damage to the 700 is 3400.00. My insurance, so far has been great. (State Farm). I hope it stays that way. I always have that feeling that nothing is the same after it's been wrecked. I'll be back on it asap to check it out. This time I'll remember what old Dirty Harry said; " A MAN'S GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS".

Quick Reply: sp 700 landed on me - 6 days in hospital