Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Massimo MSA 300/Linhai 4WD Not Engaging or Light Not Coming On

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massimo MSA 300/Linhai 4WD Not Engaging or Light Not Coming On

Hi folks. I'm new to ATVs, so please go easy on me. I purchased a Massimo LH300. Which confuses me because I keep seeing references to Linhai. It sounds like the engine is Linhai and the brand of the ATV is Massimo. I've barely driven the ATV. Very very low hours, I purchased it brand new. I tried to engage 4WD. But the light on the dash won't light up. This may be unrelated but the ATV sits quite a bit. One day I went into my shed and there was fluid on the ground. Because the ATV is new and because the fluid must have been on the ground for a while, I can't tell the color. I put my finger on the ground and its oily. But I checked the oil and we're all good there. My questions....

1. Any ideas why this thing won't go into 4WD? I can't confirm if it's the light just not turning on or if its truly not engaging. It drives exactly the same to me and I don't have jack stands yet.

2. The oily substance found on the ground. Definitely not motor oil or brake fluid. Could that be transfer case fluid (I may be using the wrong term). I haven't done any crazy off-roading. I haven't hit anything on the undercarriage. So I'm not sure why anything would have leaked out. If it is transfer case fluid would driving that without it create issues because I have driven it since then?

3. What other oil should I be checking since clearly something leaked out?

4. Would lack of whatever oil I may have leaked out of a case cause it to not engage in 4WD?

By the way here's what I have: https://www.saferwholesale.com/New-S...0-high-low.htm

I appreciate any assistance.

Old 12-21-2022, 03:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Firstly the oil leak, there should be a wet patch on the underside of the engine or diffs to tell you roughly where the oil came from. Put a sheet of clean cardboard under the bike and check where any drips come from. Look in the instruction book for how to check oil levels in gearbox (most quads run engine and gearbox in the same oil) and oil levels in front and rear diffs.

You surely must have a jack? If so just stick it in 4WD and jack the front end up, rear brake on, turn a front wheel by hand, if other front wheel rotates the same way, it isn't in 4WD. If other wheel turns the opposite way, (probably harder to turn) it is in 4WD.