Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)

The Slime worked great the first few months I had it. I got a thorn in my tire one weekend, I only knew it was there because I noticed the neon green slime on the tire during a break. But then about a year later, I must have gotten into some more thorns, because I had slow leaks on 3 tires. They were so small I couldn't quite find them, but every time I'd go to ride, my tires would be way low.
When I bought my Mudrunners, I forgot to tell the tire store that switched the rims over that the tires had slime on them. The first tire they put on the machine completely covered me, the tire guy, the machine, and the car next to us with green slime. The tire guy was absolutely furious. He said that stuff is really flammable, and that I could have gotten us killed. The slime in that tire was very liquid and pliable. The slime in the other tires was all dried up and completely useless. I don't know why some tires it dried up inside, and some it stayed liquid. If I'm going to spend that money on the stuff, (I remember it being something like $40 for all 4 tires) I want to be sure that it is actually going to work when I need it.
For $40 you can buy a small 12v air compressor, and throw it into your rack bag. At least I KNOW that will be working when I need it.

I know there have been many debates on Slime vs. No Slime, I read many of them before I decided to use the stuff. I don't want to get some big argument started, I'm just telling you that I used it, and have decided that my money is better spent on more reliable solutions.

Arcosanti

Old 01-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAWHIDE TIRES (RUN FLAT?)

I too have seen the article that said that the tires were "run flat". I also have been through the Polaris website many times and have not come across those statements. They are "GoodYear Raw-Hide" tires but not "Run- Flat". "Run-Flat" tires are optional but not standard. Putting a substance like "SLIME" may unbalance your tires because of the chucks of rubber used in it and you probably will never get them to balance out because the fluid is constantly revolving around within the tire. But this is only going to be noticeable if you are going to be riding 45-60MPH all the time. And who is doing that? At times sure but not all the time that would affect it.