Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 600 reviews / evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP 600 reviews / evaluation

It's all cool...your remarks are just under the assumtion that I was abusing the bike, and not using the gears appropriatly. Like I had said, not only did I have belt problems, I had ignition swtich break, clutch go out, belt problems, and water pump go out. My buddy has lost 2 belts, and his linkage rod broke! I think what realy had you tided up on your orginal reply was, you had the empetion that I was just riding in high water, and throwing belts. This was just not the case at all. Thanks for your help and advise, and have a good one.

Thanks again...

Old 01-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

I figured your problem was abuse, whether using the wrong gear, or riding in deep water. Apparantly, it was the latter.

Te failures you have had are all water related with the exception of the switch. Water ruins clutches and belts regardless of how you decide to dry them. the water pump seal goes out due to pressure changes cause by entering deep water repeatedly. After a while, the seal will begin to e=leak slightly. Once this occurs, and you enter muddy water, the vacume formed in the cooling system will will draw grit from the muddy water into the seal itself and soon after, it will destroy itself. I am surprised you did not mention a fan motor. I am sure it was next to go. As far as the linkage breaking, I am sure it did not break while the quad was sitting in the garage by itself. The shifter and linkage problems are usually cause by misuse. As I said earlier, never force the shifter or you will have problems.

We will probably have to agree to disagree, but keep in mind, I have been there. I probably know the 500 as well as anyone, and the effect of deep water riding on the 500 better than most.

BTW, I am surprised you 500 did not have problems idling. Most deep water riders have problems with their choke plunger hanging up. If you are riding your 600 in water above the carb, remember to remove the choke plunger every few months and clean it with a Q-tip and a good carb cleaner like Yamalube carb cleaner. Tarnish will build up and once it freezes in place, you will have your work cut out for you.

You might want to make note of my e-mail, I will help you as problems arise and they will if you ride in deep water. And, don't worry, I will probably give you more crap in private than I have here.

Greg

Old 01-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon, in the Kawasaki forum I thought you said you were buying a P650? In a later post you said that you were still checking out other quads===good move. Ride all you can.
I don't think i said i WAS buying a p650, just considering it. I'm looking at all the big bikes p650, sp600, now the scrambler......... $9000-$10 000 is a lot of money to spend on a bike that isn't right for me. All i am doing is making sure i get the right bike for me. I'm doing all the research now, so later i'll make the right choice!

Old 01-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Greg and lightening,

I'm not taking anybody's side..........just stating things the way I see it. I was on here a while back when lightening was having major problems with his sp500. He claimed he wasn't abusing it..........and I can't remember mention of deep water riding. It sounded like one of the freak clutch problems straight from Polaris, along with a pitiful service department. If it still chewed belts up after the clutch replacement, it must have been bad clutch alignment. Anyway, lightening stated that he always used low in the right situations and all, so all we can do is take him at his word.

Greg, like myself, has seen so many people badmouth polaris because of their own ignorance in using high all the time........such as when mud riding or hill climbing or towing...........or people complain about belts slipping that have never even ridden a belt drive quad. And as far as quads go, the sp500 has brought more to the atv world than any other single atv. Almost every single manufacturer has a quad with IRS now because of the sp500, and Polaris pretty much has the sp500 perfected. The reason that there is an occasional lemon is in the sheer number of sp500's that are sold. Greg has owned at least a couple sp500's, and knows their weaknesses and strengths inside and out..........and I'm sure it upsets him to see anybody trash one..........

So..........maybe maybe giving some outside perspective, this will clear things up between you honeymooners........................lol.

Waylan

P.S. Greg, have you ever changed the seal sleeve out on a strut?

Old 01-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

walexa

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Greg sounds like he very knowledgeable of the SP 500, and other lines that Polaris makes. This orginal post has turned away from the orginal question and answer that weedy was looking for. Some how I was lucky enough to wide up with a lemon. With that bad taste in my mouth, I will not suggest to anyone to buy a SP 500. Right or wrong, you can not wrong me for my opion. I have stated the problems that I had with my SP 500 as F.Y.I only. Who ever reads this info can use how they wish. This is all that it is for, or ment to be. I used my low gear as suggested, and I used my high gear as suggested. I have/do trail ride to wear I do come across heavier train. On these occasions, I will ride in abnormal train for a short period of time, but I do not abuse my bikes! You would have to know me personaly to know how I take care of anything I purchase. I can't aforward to purchase a 6-8 thousand dollar toy, and have it destroyed in less than a year. I am sure u know what I am saying. I owen a SP 600 Polaris! I am not inteading this to sound like a bashing on the product brand that I owen. Every manufacture does not always have all their products perfect. Some more than other have issues. This is how we have today what we have is by trial and error. They made vast changes in the 03 models that we talked about earlier that will help out alot of the problems that people came accross on the SP 500. In the smal time the bike accually ran, it ran strong! Like I had said, Greg sounds like a nice guy, and very knowledgeable to alot of the issues that people have came accross. I will keep him in mind for when ever I do run into a problem, becasue it sounds like he would have already had the same problems and fixed it once or twice. Far as the SP 600 goes, it has been everywhere the SP 500 has been, and I did not have to have another ATV pull me back to the truck because the bike broke down on the trail. I have had it for 3 or 4 weeks now, and it has not been back to the shop as of yet. This is a major plus for me.

Thanks again for the info.............

Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

I don't want to come off as trying to start something or take sides but as for deep water crossings on a Sportsman, I have a 2001 Sportsman 400 which has seen its belt case TOTALLY submerged in water for lenthy time. The belt has never slipped. I have 1180 miles so far and no belt problems what so ever, this even after I slipped the belt twice I could smell it. (Rider erorr) This is just my expierence with Polaris belts, others may differ.

Old 01-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2003 H.O. Sportsman and so far I like it. Just my two cents, but mine does have a drain plug in it and the intake seems to be clear up to the gas tank. I can't wait to get it into the kind of conditions that you folks seem to be talking about. Seems like you could loose a truck in it though. I haven't had mine in anything to nasty yet mostly just work so far but really looking forward to some fun, aggressive stuff.