Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scambler mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scambler mods

I have a 2000 Scambler 400 4x4 I want to modify.

I think handling is poor and steering components weak. What should I do?

Engine & drive train gotta be pumped up, too. (I use to ride modified honda 250r's.)

Once the engine gets bumped up a little I'm afraid some of the stock Polaris parts just won't hold up. Which parts should I be looking to upgrade?

Trade magazine just dont have much to say about modifying Polaris, so I'm trying to get an idea what to expect from different mods, what should or shouldn't be combined, staging modifcations, what to avoid, & avoiding over modifying.

I am currently looking to:

1. RCR - Ritter Cycle Racing
2. HDP
3. Hot Seat Performance
4. Aaen
5. EPI
6. FMF - exhaust
7. Works Performance - shock/struts
8. Fox - struts
9. Elka - suspension

I would like to know if anybody has used these companies and if they whould recommend them?

I would also like to know specifically about:

1. Aaen front shock kit ATA30090 (adds a ohlins shock & keeps strut)
2. HSP suspension sping kit ATVSK-2
2. Cluthes-I'm totally lost here!
3. Steering - A-arms, steering stem & bushings, steering dampeners, stuts & shocks, springs - WHO or WHERE?
4. Braking - seperation kits
5. flywheel machining - any reliablity issues?

If you done any kind of modications to a 2-stoke Polaris I would like to hear about it. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default scambler mods

The best bang for the buck would be an RCR stage 1 kit. It comes complete with the pipe,silencer,clutch kit,airbox mod all for 325 plus free shipping. This will really wake up the 400. Stay away fron fmf,epi and other companies that dont really deal with Polaris. If you get a pipe you need to get a clutch kit to match the powerband of the pipe. HPD,RCR,Hotseat and AAEN are the best mods for the Polaris 2 strokes. But RCR would be the best for the money. The whole kit will increase your hp from stock 39 to 47 with mods. Shaving the flywheel will build rpm's quicker. No reliability issue there. As for suspension someone else needs to chim in.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

I couldn't help you personally with the suspension, but I would try to do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with something. I see a lot of people going with the Works shocks/struts with the 400/500 Scrambler/Sports. For a while I was going to get the Works suspension on my Scrambler, but since it's a 4 stroke and a heavy SOB, I felt my money would be better used if I saved up for a more sport oriented quad...Predator...hehe. If I had a 2 stroke, I would've definately modded the thing out cuz we all know, 2 strokes kick *ss.

Anyways, sorry for getting off the topic. From what I've seen, I would check out HPd and RCR for your performance/engine needs, and HSP for suspension. The HSP dual rate springs are supposed to be sweet, and they also carry FOX suspension products. The sky is the limit. HPd/RCR can get your quad flyin. Check out HPD-inc.com and RitterCycleRacing.com.

Your quad being a 2000 model, I would check to see if you have the newer style heim joint tie-rod ends. These are much better and last longer than the older style. The poor steering/handling is something you have to deal with on the Sport/Scramblers. Maybe you could add some better handling tires and/or lighten the machine up a bit to help, but that's all I know of. To take weight off, you could remove the oil injection and starter. HPd also sells a super light battery. Oh ya, you might wanna get yourself a chain tesioner from HPd or RCR.

I kinda just slopped radom thoughts here. Hope I helped. Just one more thing, just remember, for your engine/clutching/exhaust modifications, stick with ONE company.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scambler mods

Well I have had a 250r and a 400 polaris motor apart, and I can tell you there is no comparison to the crank differences. The crank and rods are bulletproof in the 400's.Mine is a 99 model and still on the stock bottom end pumping more than 80HP to it. When me and my friends ride we ride hard. I put the optional springs in the front and back . That lowered the bike an inch and greatly improved handling. The only one thing that will get what the Honda was suspension wise is to spend $15K in an aftermarket frame. Other than that just remember it's not going to be close especially in a 4x4. When looking to engine mods, STAY AWAY from DG and FMF. Dynoport does make a kick butt pipe, but the best choice is Ritter Cycle (Rick Ritter). Not only does he have his own line, he is also an HPD dealer and can sell everything they do at their price. You also get the best service in the business.PERIOD. Hotseat sells a split line kit that you would probably like for the brakes. You can remove 1lb off the flywheel and keep the electric start. Any more than that and the starter goes bye bye. I also trail port the motors cheap. Private mail me if your interested. I'll help with the motor dept as much as I can.Hope this helps,Bubba

Old 01-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

You also might want to check out MAC Racing.. 503-390-0094. Talked to Brent today about a big bore stroker motor. A buddy has one and said it beats the alky HPD. Someone's alway raising the bar. I'm gonna go broke trying to keep up.

Jay

Old 01-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

Hpd is definately the way to go. They offer a complete line of products and everything is dyno test for accuracy. I've spent alot of money with them and they are hard to beat. I've used Ritter as well but his trail pipe didn't hold a candle to hpd's. You just have to decide how far you want to take it and then get started.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 PM
jim
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

I dropped the weight by 55+lbs, added HPD power porting etc, installed (at the time) the shortest & lightest MX tire the Kenda Domminator tires & had PEP redo the rear shock & bought the Works struts that are air adjustable w/ heavy duty springs. I did most of these mods back in 98 & 99 when Mike Chero & Jack Shultz ruled this forum w/ help. I ride MX tracks in the area (practice only, I'm old) & ride on my 2 personal tracks on my property. I jump all the time & ride very hard & fast. I've had zero problems with anything breaking. No chains, no swing arms, no engine or jetting problems, nothing. I feel like I should want to buy a newer quad but I am just so happy w/ mine since it's like having a 4wd Banshee which is as fast as one also up to 6th gear & is very reliable. It handles great & the ride is SOOOO nice. Mike Chero sold me when I rode his at Mareinville when he put on the Works struts. It's like riding on a cloud & resists bottoming big time when pumped to 50PSI & heavy spring installed & there's still 2" of sag, amazing. I was limited on the track by the suspension especially on the rear end since it will start to walk on it's own at high speed in the rough stuff since the rebound on the stock rear shock is way too slow. Pep only charged like around $250 for a custom rebuild exactly to you weight, mods etc. My friends 250R w/ +2 A-ARMS & I corner about the same on high speed turns. It is very stable now. If you have specific questions just email me, I dont want to bore the old timers on here w/ my same old story.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 01-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

First you need to decide how far you want to go. No usein buying a trail pipe riding on it one time and selling it for a Race pipe not that I would do something like that. Althought there is a few who use a full race port for trail riding (modquad) I feel the trail port and trail pipe is the way to go for trails. HPD or RCR can take care of you there, but I feel Rick is the better of the two to deal with and can get you HPD parts to. I always call Rick first anytime I needed something you be surprised what he can get you.

No for Dragracing I think HPD and RCR are starting to get left behind, (I have not seen or heard how a new Maxx powervalve kit runs yet) Mac has a intresting big bore stroker that suppose to be fast. But his regular porting was beautfull work.

I will let everyone know how a MAC (aka Brent) built motor runs soon.

Susp. cant help you there I go in straight line only the Preadtor I buy in a year or so will be the handling bike.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

First off, great to see a post by Jim. Other than spending quite a bit more on your suspension, do what he says, that'll get you the best ride. The HPD customs are nice, but limited, they are available, but a little pricey (get what you pay for)....go Jim's route.

Like Bubba said skip FMF and DG. HPD (like it's posted Ritter sells them too) specializes in Polaris. If you really want to fly get the powervalved setup....once again kinda pricey, but Darrell spent the whole summer perfecting it...IT WORKS!!! You can go for the non-valved race-mod, with the newer ATV8 pipe, it offers instantaneous throttle response. Concetrate on removing weight along with the HP gains, and you'll be a happy camper. My last dune trip I was running with an ESR power-valved, big bore on alky....he couldn't believe I stayed with 'em. The question of the day, everyone kept asking me, "what is that?". Guess I better get some Polaris stickers.

As far as Mac Racing, they turned around a lightened flywheel for me really fast, but I have heard of some questionable business practices, hopefully those have been ironed out. HPD and Ritter are family operations which have been around and plan on being around for quite a while. Not bashing here, after the FTR/G-Force dealings I just get a little cautious when sending my dollars out.

Ken

Old 01-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default scambler mods

What is a powervalve setup? is that the 416 power maxx?

What is alky?

I actually call up Jim and talked with him. He was very knowledgeable & helpfull.

I think I am close to figuring out what I would like to do, but at the cost it's starting to add up to I'll have to consider leaving it alone and buying a Predator. Nothing wrong with having 2 horses in the stables.

Quick Reply: scambler mods