Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Am I doing this wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I doing this wrong?

Did my first oil change on my 03 Sportsman today and what a joke. I drained my tank like they said and no problems, I looked to find the crankcase drain plug on the side of the crankcase and thought how dumb can that be! Unless I'm doing this wrong and maybe someone can help, polaris needs to really needs to stop and think. You have to get the plug out from the oblong hole in the skid plate which for one is to close the front drive shaft to get a box end wrench on. And when you have actually finished draining it, you have to try to reach your fingers in the hole and try to screw the plug in which was a rather fun task. Lets just say my garage was a little on the adult language warning side for several minutes untill I got the plug back in. I could bearly reach the drain hole to put the plug in through the hole let alone be able to turn the plug to put it in. Its not a staight down plug that you can use a socket and extension on like most other quads. Someone please tell me I'm doing this wrong and that there is an easier way. I just hope polaris had engineers for everything else with more insight than the one who figured out the best way for the drain plug. And in the back of your mind the manual says to drain and fill the oil in a expediant manner to avoid losing prime and doing engine damage. While stuggle to get the drain plug back in the hole and dropping it a couple of dozen times trying to reach the hole, your thinking to yourself, "how long is an expediant manner". Please help me see the error in my ways so I don't dread changing the oil on my machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

It's not an engineering flaw at all. You just aren't using the right tools. I use a socket w/ an extension on a ratchet. No big deal. The only problem I have found is that you have to clean the oil off of the tools after the process is complete. Not really a problem in my mind. At least you don't have to try to get your fingers in that hole in the skid plate!

Old 01-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Not sure what the differences are, but I usually just peel all the plastic off of the bottom and sides of my Scrambler to do all that fun stuff. It gives me a chance to inspect everything and it makes the task at hand a breeze.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:00 AM
Trailblazer

Mudslide
How are you getting around the front driveshaft? I tried to get in there with an extention and a socket and the driveshaft is in the way.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

Yoo Ho[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img],
Primeing the pump is no big deal.
Pinch the hose that goes from the top of the oil tank to the air box.
Theres a slit in the hose about 3" from the tank.
Pinch between the slit and the tank with a pair of vice grips.
Start motor let run about 15 seconds
remove vice grips.

mudislife
What did the snorkle from bert cost ya?
Got any pics?

Old 01-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

500DUSE,

Bert does amazing work! I think the Airbox and PVT snorkle ran me about $350. I have had them on the bike for about a year now and no probs at all! First snorkle kit I ever owned that's problem free! No power loss and no engine damage. He has really perfected his snorkle kits! Here's his number...(281) 655-1714.

I have the snorkles on the 325 mag as well!

Old 01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well they dont have a kit they can send so????????
If you ever get a chance to get some pic's,
and maybe some numbers,like pipe size,hole size,bla,bla,bla
That would be great.