Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator - How to Free up "dragging" front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator - How to Free up "dragging" front brakes

On the Predator, you seem to have to extend your grip too far forward to grab the front brake with a standard 2 finger grip, and then it travels only a slight bit for full firm brakes with those great braided steel lines. Maybe Polaris made it this way, as it seems to make you get off the gas in order to reach forward to grab the brake.

In my opinion, there isn't enough travel in the lever, almost as if the brakes are slightly pre-loaded and under pressure by the lever position and the brake master cylinder piston pin.

In the lever pocket where the master cylinder piston pins seats, I took a small stone in my Dremel tool and relieved the pocket about 1/16” deeper to bring the grip in further while under braking. Some porting and polishing later, its a custom fit that really helps as my braking comes on at about 3/8"-1/2" lever deflection, instead of almost instant to 1/4" brake grab from the factory.

Check your free play, and with a little porting and polishing, you too can get more flow out of your brake lever.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Did that reduce the drag on the front wheels????

Old 01-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed the drag too...had the front end up doing a custom skid plate and noticed how the wheels drag..why is this??

Old 01-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys... their called disc brakes... heh they will always rub against the rotor.. unless of course they put WAY to big of pads on them.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, they are hydrolic disc brakes, but they shouldn't hang that bad. I can spin the 400ex and the Raptor tire and it keeps going and going, like the Energizer Bunny, but your lucky to get one rotation out of the Predator. Has anyone gotten some miles and ware on the front brakes and if so do they still hang so bad? Thanks for the input.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info ProXPredator. I notice the same problem with dragging brakes and this is not normal. My Honda has no problem with this. I have over 40 hours on my predator and the drag is still there. I have only seen this symptom on old sticking caliper pistons. It's like there is something preventing the pistons from retracting. If you try pushing the pad back by hand and then spin the hub, it spins great. Use the brakes and then spin the hub and it stops almost immediately. Whats up with these calipers????

Old 01-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Just a side note, the calipers are the exact same front and rear..........same part number!

Yes, but taking some pressure off the master cylinder pin by the front lever it does spin more freely.

Its not that big a "problem".....IMHO......

The front tires aren't even touching the ground half the time!!! <big grins>

Old 01-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a F.Y.I. I have read on the polaris website that there is a recall on the front brakes for the predator!!!

Old 01-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

The brake recall is old news, and was just a mounting bolt torque setting. All dealers also received the notice (fax was on my dealers wall) and they've corrected this. I believe it was only the first initial units, but its good that you brought this up to keep people informed.

It's also prudent to do your own pre-flight check on any new machine before you soar it skyward! While I didn't find anything loose, I did snug up a few fasteners but it was no big deal.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

It shouldn't be that big of a deal, other than changing the brake pads waaaaay b4 they should be. What fluid is used in those brakes, I haven't looked or anything, but isn't there a difference between dot 4 and dot 3 and the like? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Predator - How to Free up "dragging" front brakes