Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator suspension

I have to say that the suspension on my Pred. sucks bad my Scrambler rides way better. What shocks are out there for the Pred. I don't want the Walker Evans shocks. never heard of those.

Old 01-27-2003, 01:28 AM
Range Rover

i love the suspension on my pred you got to dial it in its the most awesome machine ive ever rode [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] rode my buddys scrambler theres no comparision the pred rocks

Old 01-27-2003, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

What kind of riding are you doing? This bike has more adjustability than anything else out there. If you can't tune the suspension to your riding style, you do not deserve to ride it. I went from a 400ex to the Preditor and now feel the Honda is not even good enough for my wife to ride.

Old 01-27-2003, 04:43 AM
Pro Rider

Dune, you have got to be kidding, right? You feel the struts on a Scrambler are better than the a-arms on a Predator? Don't forget, from factory, they are set really stiff. Not sure why, but alomst everyone that I know that has one has had to soften it up. I know when I tried to adjust it the way someone told me to, it was like riding my stiff Scrambler all over again. Softened it more than what it was when I got it, and it's great now!

Old 01-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

I ride a little bit of everything but mostly the dunes. I will say that it soaks up the big stuff ok but, when the sand gets choppy the front end is so harsh that you can hardly hold on. I have taken some of the spring tension out of the front end ,still to harsh if you loosen the spring much more the springs just flop around and thats not good.I rode a ex400 that was stock that was better.

{ If you can't tune the suspension to your riding style, you do not deserve to ride it} Winner what's up with that statment your telling me that it has the most adjustability of anything out there sping preload is not really adjustment as far as compression or rebound preload is just a small part .

Old 01-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, personally I think the shocks on the pred ride better than the works performance struts that I put on my scrambler. I would try softening up the front preload. Otherwise there are other options. You can contact Rath Racing, their website is rathracing.com. He has a multiple spring rate setup for around $125 that should help, I belive it is a triple spring setup. Otherwise I belive Elka is already making shocks for the pred.

-----------
03 predator
02 scrammy 400 X 4x4 (for sale)

Old 01-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dune, if you've already tweaked the suspension, and still aren't getting satisfaction, maybe add the rezzies to the fronts, or even the Walker Evan's units. I'm sure they're comparable in performance to the Race sled sets, so either way, it would be money well spent.

Ken

Old 01-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

It helps if you also post what you weigh, if and when you post "this suspension sux"..........

I bet the ride IS HARSH, if you're 130 or 150 pounds, and if so maybe a smaller quad might fit you better......the Predator fits bigger guys better, and at 230, I feel the suspension is GREAT, even if I've had to still soften the dampening up. If you've loosened up the front preload to the point that the springs are bouncing around loose, then you need different shocks............simple as that, it all takes tuning.

Personally I'm GLAD they make it a stiff ride, as better to have it a bit jarring then bottoming out and swaying through the corners.........this is a PERFORMANCE quad, and not a macpherson strut soft riding plush cushy grandma style handling quad........

Tune it to fit your needs.

Old 01-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Range Rover

By the way I am 240lbs with gear. I just have a hard time believing that people can take all that jarring around on the front end you should be able to get most of that out. I would think. I just dont think you can do it with the springs alone you have to have some kind of compresion adjustment. If you add the rezzies the only setting are stiffer.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

I weight 130lb without all my gear on and about 5'9" and I love the suspension on the Predator, I had to soften the rear to keep from throwing me around but the front I love.

I'm running between 35-40 clicks down on the front. (if you take a pen and count how many times it falls into the threads from the top of the shock to the spring) Hope that makes since. I find it's just easier than using a tape measure to keep both sides the same.

My sand/gravel pit is under snow right now so I haven't been jumping big air yet but I have been on rough snowmobile trails with it and I find the front really good in this setting and not to firm at all. I do ride wide open all the time so that might be abit of a difference compared to some of you but it always brings alittle smile to my face hearing some of you bigger guys going on about how stiff you find the front suspension.

I'm going to get the rezzies also not sure if I'll need them for mottocross but I will use them for drag racing when I drop the bike to help stiffen the front suspension up some.

The more and more I ride my Predator the more I realize my modded 416ex isn't that great a bike to me anymore. Don't get me wrong it is a amazing working bike for a Honda 400ex but my riding style has just gone to a higher class.

"Live fast die young and leave a good looking corpse" ....by James Dean

Quick Reply: Predator suspension