Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

P650 or 600Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003 | 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Default P650 or 600Sportsman

I would not say that one suspension is better than another, they are very different and work well in different situations. If you think the suspension is better on the Polaris then it's probably better for you and you should buy it. Especially if you're an old fart, all the old farts around here buy Polaris. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (I'm just kidding please don't anybody freak out)

About ground clearance. I saw a Sportsman 700 the last time I went riding that had about 3" of GC. Average size guy with 2 5ish year olds on back (they were all wearing helmets and taking it very easy). The poor thing was about riding on the skid plate. I also have a co-worker whose neighbor hauled out a spike elk on his 650! Clearly there are advantages to each suspension but as far as I'm concerned the whole GC issue is a moot point and way over played.

If the Kawi has an achilles heel it's the belt but with a black spring and proper maintanance it's not a problem. It's fairly easy to do the maintance yourself from what I here. I havn't heard of one person having problems with brakes freezing. The rear brake is on a cable so I guess it's possible but very unlikey. The newer Poari are getting better for reliablility but they're still playing catch-up. Yes the Duncraps aren't the best... ...okay they're the worst, but Polaris is the only company which doesn't follow the weight restrictions which is why they can put on better/hevier tires. Never heard of a front diff problem, guess you could do a search and see. The wheels are not alluminum, they're steel. Ride what you want but lets not start making up facts to support our favorite brand!

Old 01-31-2003 | 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

just buy whatever you want, I'm exhausted.

Old 01-31-2003 | 09:29 PM
Range Rover

Hey Chainman: Have you read your spec sheet? I have. You better get off your ride and check your rims as they are Aluminum. That is a fact, along with everything I stated. Get your facts straight before you, "start making up facts to support your favourite brand." I have no brand loyality. I owe no loyality to any atv manufacturer.

PS. Magnetics don't lie

Old 01-31-2003 | 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you got your information but I have never seen aluminum wheels on a Kawa 650

Old 01-31-2003 | 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Snowride: Check private message

Old 01-31-2003 | 11:58 PM
Range Rover

Maybe you're thinking of the Grizzly? I don't know, but the Kawi's wheels are steel. They're not bad wheels the stock tires don't give them much protection maybe that was your problem.

Old 02-01-2003 | 01:47 AM
Range Rover

chainman....SHUT UP!!!... go buy yourself a new 3 amp motor for your Toys R Us Bigfot!!!

Old 02-01-2003 | 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, here we go. I went to my dealer today, they happen to be a Kawasaki and Polaris dealer. They had two Prairie 650s there. They were both the most gorgeous deep red color, first time I ever saw it. They still have the old style racks in that weird platinum color, but I almost like it against the red. Wife thought the platinum colored rack and the style of the plastic was ugly. Oh well. The first 650 was lifted, I assume by highlifter, thats what the dealer carries there. It seemed to be a HUGE lift. It had 28 inch Titan 589s on ITP C-series. This was the sweetest Prairie I have ever seen! It even had a little ground clearance in the back, the big skid plate costs you just a little GC, but makes up for it by protecting the rearend.
The other Prairie was stock tires and suspension, had a moose plow on it with a crappy manual lift. I suppose if your a left handed bodybuilder its okay. Anyway, not only did the stock tires suck and the ground clearance at the rear end suck, but the foot boards were almost on the ground! and no, the plow was not up so it shouldn't have weighed it down much; also it had no winch. This machine was so small I honestly thought it was a 360 or something until I read the decals. Now I think I know why the dealer always puts a lift and big tires on a P650 for the showroom. Other wise the Sportsmans sitting across the aisle make them look puny. So, to recap, if you buy a 650, please lift it and buy big badass tires if you want to ride with the big boys. And if you get a dark red one with 28 inch 589s you can ride with me, as long as you let me try it out.

Old 02-01-2003 | 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Line 'em up and you will know which one has the 650 in it. That's for sure. I have no problems getting over logs that are 12"-18" in diameter with my lowly stock 650 with crappy ground clearance. Hell, I will have to measure them next time so I know for sure what I went over with my peewee mobile. Must be nice having that high center of gravity to pull you down a hill. Experienced that first hand today on a SP600. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003 | 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Northstar2
So, to recap, if you buy a 650, please lift it and buy big badass tires if you want to ride with the big boys. And if you get a dark red one with 28 inch 589s you can ride with me, as long as you let me try it out.
Ride with you???? Hell, you'll be back in the last county probably pinned under your Sportsman and gazing up at all that wonderful GC of course upside down your Polaris will have the CG of the Prairie.

In case you can't tell I'm just talking trash, just messing with you. I've said it a hundred times, "Ride what you like". There is no one machine that is the best for everyone. Take Northstar for example, it's more important to him to have a tuff looking jacked up quad with tons of ground clearance (when it's go no load on the springs) than to have something that you can actually ride. So he likes Polaris, great, good for him, hunky dory! The rest of us who are able to navigate rocks higher than 9" and like to slide, off-camber, off-road; we'll buy something else.

Hey Northstar, I though you were exhausted. You must have got your second wind huh?

Quick Reply: P650 or 600Sportsman