Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

P650 or 600Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003 | 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default P650 or 600Sportsman

the point I was trying to make is, the Prairie is one sweet ride as long as you scrap the junk tires and lift it. Why does it seem like I am the only one concerned about ground clearance? Do you people all ride on flat ground? Why do people think that you have to have the old fashioned live axle to kick the rear end out? The only things I have done to my 700 is increase it's off road capability. It is not all high and tippy like you make it sound The ground clearance hasn't got much to do with that. Look at a Hummer, they have enormous ground clearance because everything is tucked up inside. And the difference in lifted height will be evened out when I put on the new spacers and wider tires.
I LIKE Prairies! Really I do! Definitely would be my second choice for a big quad. I only drove one once to test drive, but I've driven a 660 Grizz a lot and doesn't compare. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that, now I've opened up a new can of worms. Wait a minute, isn't this the Polaris forum? Why doesn't everyone here show some brand loyalty? I thought that's why they divided up all the forums by brand, so we wouldn't get into fistfights.
Oh and by the way, Chevy is better than Ford. Always has been and always will be.

Old 02-02-2003 | 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

I can see it is hopeless so I give. Well... not quite yet. I have the crappiest ground clearance utility ATV on the market and can get over the same stuff as the mighty sportsman, but GC is soooo important. Why is this low ground clearance not stopping me?? I have driven both the prairie and the sportsman offroad, not looking at them in a showroom and the sportsman is more tippy with its' higher center of gravity. Even the guy I ride with said that.

I agree with the divided forum things but I like to stop in here and see what is going on since my buddy has a SP600 and I do like the Polaris brand.

So, after all this Chaff, what have you decided on? Anything yet.....

Old 02-02-2003 | 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Prarie Positives:
-Better engine (maybe this is a personal opinion)
-Lower center of gravity (higher airbox, low gas tank)
-Sportier solid axle
-I personally like the speedo and digital display better
-lighter weight
-rear brake is nice

Prarie Negatives:
-crappy tires
-belt problems
-not as good ground clearance as IRS quads
-do you still have to get the hitch as an accessory?

Sportsman Positives:
-High ground clearance
-Better mudder
-better suspension(this is a personal OPINION)
-best stock tires
-3 headlights
-park gear in tranny
-softer seat
-all wheel hydraulic brakes
-AMERICAN MADE!

Sportsman Negaives:
-HEAVY
-higher center of gravity
-more body roll(not good for sportier riding styles)
-no fuel gauge

Really, as said a million times, it comes down to personal preference/opinion. Some of the negatives listed can be a positive in some situations, such as more weight. I say, make a two column list for yourself, one column Polaris, the other Kawi, with all of the major things such as engine, suspension, egronomics, over all ride, ground clearance, better dealer, etc. Based on the type of riding you want to do, pick what you like better on each machine and give it a check. For instance, if you are more of a sport rider, you will probly the Kawi a check for rear suspension/solid axle. However, if ground clearance in what you want for mudding, rock crawling, or whatever, give the Sportsman a check. If it's too close to call, ask yourself, which one you feel better on. Find yourself a good dealer and you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Old 02-02-2003 | 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

okay, this is all I'm going to say on the subject. You asked for opinions, you got opinions. Intially at the start of these things someone always says ride them both and pick which one you like best. So do that. Any good dealer will let you test drive, and I would expect that if you do that you will like one much better than the other. Maybe for reasons we discussed here, maybe not. I think it makes more sense than getting me spouting off about Polaris and getting everybody else mad at me. Seriously, if you ride them both, one will probably beg to be taken home, and the other won't!:

Old 02-02-2003 | 07:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I made my decision I bought the sp600. For the riding I do it will be fine. I also won't have to change anything on it (tires,GC,etc.) I did ride both and the 600sp fit my needs better than the p650. Both are awesome I did like the smoothness on take off with the p650 better than the 600sp. That alone wasn't enough for me. Thanks for the input. Later Chaff.

Old 02-02-2003 | 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad you decided. You will have a great time with your SP600. But, if you would have gotten the Prairie you wouldn't have had to change anything either. It is all personal preference on changes made to ATV's....

Have fun.....

Old 02-02-2003 | 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats! ENJOY!

what color?

Old 02-02-2003 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Chaff!!! I love you man!

Old 02-03-2003 | 11:59 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I got the blue one. Chaff.

Old 02-03-2003 | 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Chaff I also just picked up my new Sonic Blue 600 with a warn 2500. I love the Blue and I got to give my 600 a good ride yesterday. Awesome bike I cant wait to take it in the mud!!!

Quick Reply: P650 or 600Sportsman