Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt cover replacement turns into a disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt cover replacement turns into a disaster

My simple belt cover replacement job has taken a turn for the worst. After waiting weeks for my new covers to come in, I got to the point of pulling the clutches to replace the back cover. The secondary was rusted on and wouldn't slide off. I tried the trailer ball trick on the primary and to make a long story short, there is no way anything like that has a prayer except on a brand new machine. A few tore up tools later, I call the dealer and ask if I can use their pullers. They say that would be fine so today I took my Scrambler to the dealer. It hasn't been run in a month (worst part of the story, I know) and it is below freezing outside. Battery is dead but it pull starts easy. I load it up and make the 35 mile trip to the dealer. I get their tools and pop the secondary off fairly easy. I use a screwdriver wedged through the clutch and a pipe wrench on their tool to try to pull the primary. I'm not having any luck. I put all my 140 pounds on the end of that 18" wrench and POP!. The screwdriver flies and something appears broken but nothing obvious. I now know the primary unscrews, and some plastic washer was broken when that happened. The clutch is still stuck tight. I go back in the dealer and tell him what happened. He says drive around back and we'll put the impact on it. That did the trick and the clutch is off. We inspect it and it has serious wear in the button area and bushings that slide on the shaft. It appears the whole clutch is a total loss. I thank him for his time and go home. To put the icing on the cake... I go to take the battery out of the quad to put it on a slow charge. A gentle turn of the wrench and the whole terminal breaks off. I left everything sit just like that and here I am, asking you guys what to do about the clutch. Should I go for a whole new stock clutch or is there a performance clutch I should look at? All suggestions welcome, including dumping it in a lake. (But no fellas, I'm not crossing into the "red").

Old 02-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why would the whloe clutch be bad? Cant you replace the bushings,new heavy duty buttons and plastic bushing . The only way the clutch would be bad is if the clutches are worn,splines are stripped or sheeves are cracked. I dont see why they are bad. Just looks like a routine maintenence job. The only performance clutch would be a clutch kit from HPD,Hotseat,aaen or RCR. The sheeves are a stock item.

Old 02-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Power 500, I had the same prob with mine. Check the metal surface the buttons ride on. If the surface has grooves in it then you cant do anything to fix it. You will have to replace the primary clutch with a new unit for $300 from polaris. Polaris is the only one you can get it from. It sucks but its a high wear part. Mine took a dump at 2000 miles. There is no way you can prevent this from happening.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why you should take the outer cover off every few months and blow the belt dust off of both clutches. It gets built up and starts acting like grit against all the wear items. You are allowed a clearance of up to .010 between the buttons and spider before rebuilding. If the spider gets grooved where the buttons slide too much, time then for a clutch. You can buy a new clutch at a bargain sometimes off of e-bay or even a slightly used one. I bought a new takeoff from e-bay for $90 plus shipping. Just keep looking.Bubba