Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

can an axle be straightened on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can an axle be straightened on the bike?

I hit a tree sideways and now my wheel wobbles (2003 trail boss). Without replacing the axle, can I (A) pump up the tire till it's hard and hit it with a 20lb. sledge hammer, (B) Find a way to bend the axle using leverage, (I have thought about bolting a long 2x4 board to the hub), (C) last resort- having to remove axle and getting it straightened at a machine shop. I'd really like to avoid having to take the axle out of the bike. I already know that using heat is a bad idea on axles. Anybody have any tricks up their sleeve?

Old 02-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

A few years back one of our boys bent an axle on a warrior we used to own. We had to remove it and straighten it with a press and v-blocks using runout indicators to bring it back in. It took a while but we brought it back to within around .007 runout. I do not know of any other way to do it. We straightened it without any heat at all.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

I'd say you'll have a hard time straightening it while it's sill o the quad. (without breaking something else) Are you sure it's the axle? Take the wheel off and suspend the rear end off the ground , put it in gear and give it some gas. This should tell you what is bent. If it is the axle, I would take it off and try a shop press. I straightened one of my A-arms that way. Saved myself $70.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously the wobble would be less as you get closer to the base of the radius. So I'm wondering if I'd be able to see if the axle is bent when I take the wheel off. I'm hoping that it's only my hub thats bent, but someone said it might be my wheel. I don't know how I'd tell the difference, other than buying a new hub and keeping my fingers crossed that the wobble goes away. I got a lead on a pair of hubs for cheap on ebay, I'm going to check it out.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

WIDEGLIDEXLH,

I Agree with MossMan84 I would jack up the rear end and remove the tires, put it in gear and hit the gas to check if the axle is what is bent. Is the rim bent?

good luck!

WideGlideXLH
where did you get that cool Rebel Flag Icon. I love it! Do you mind passing that along to me? Please?
thanks> if not I understand

Old 02-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Some other guys mentioned the rim might be bent. I did not see how that can be, but now I'm wondering. It's not egg shaped. I can test that by switching wheels from left to right though.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

WideGlideXLH,
Thanks for the icon. Good Luck with your axle.
Keep me Posted
Thanks Again,
dbass