Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to put your Polaris into 4 wheel EBS instead of 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellows I had wrote a post a few weeks ago on if a technique worked on putting your bike into 4 wheel ebs...you have got to try this...first before you go down a steep hill put your bike into reverse hold the over ride button and give it some hard gas backing up about 10 feet, don't let off the button and shift into low or high gear forward as you hold the button then give it gas and start down the steep hill...continue to hold the over ride button and watch at your amazement as you go down the hill in 4 wheel ebs...man it is great. This is great if you have been going down really steep slippery stuff where your back wheels break traction and you have to give it gas to keep the rear wheels and rear end from sliding around. This really works and is an added feature that really works great going down steep stuff where your rear wheels make your bike get a little sideways. I can tell it works and you will to from the way it seems to tame your front end. To make this stop working simply put it in reverse and back up about ten feet without holding the button and you are back where you started...

Old 04-16-2000, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

I'm glad you got "the rest of the story". I thought by buddies just said to hold the override button. I tried that and it "seemed" to be working better but around here I don't have any really challenging hills. While one the subject of the EBS some people say it is slower than one without the feature. All I can say is it is slowing my bike down. It would really be a rocket.

Gardner10

Old 04-16-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, a little confused here. Wouldn't just being in AWD and decelerating via EBS, throttle off engine brakes affect the front drive as well as the back? It seems mine has always been slowing all four wheels via ebs when in AWD. When the AWD is engaged, it too is connected to the engine, so the ebs would affect the drive to the front wheels as well. Just my early morning thoughts on the ebs system.

Old 04-16-2000, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

Atving

Several months ago I flipped my 00 SP5oo over on top of me going up a steep dry hill. I am experienced 4x4 driver owner/driver but did not realize that as I went up the hill with the switch in 4wd position that I was still in 2wd until the daggone back wheels slipped.

As I creeped up to the summit, it went over backward; Me and the SP500 free fell 15 - 20 feet. I thought I had broken my back but I was lucky and only broke my hand. $1000 damage to my beautiful 500. I say all of this because if there was a way to hold that yellow button in while going forward and KNOW you were in 4WD my accident would not have happened. I don't like the idea that you can't override the fact that the back wheels have to slip first before you have 4wd.

I wished someone could come up with an overdrive switch while going forward;that is when you pushed the yellow button while going FOWARD the $wd would lock in.

Any comments?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2000, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hugh, I’m glad you’re still alive to tell your story. As you well know it could have been worse. Two years ago a similar accident happened to me while trying to ride up a boulder as big as a house. The front came up and when the Sportsman and I finally stopped going backwards down the rock it was on top of me upside down with me still in the saddle bent in half and helpless. If I’d been riding alone I’d still be there. My back will never be the same but I’m lucky to be alive.

As I read your story I’m trying to imagine a situation in which the engagement of the front hubs would prevent such a thing from happening. I’m coming up empty. When the front end comes up it’s usually caused by a combination of balance and center of gravity, not lack of traction. If it’s not too much trouble would you be able to describe just what happened and how AWD would have helped? I’d like to understand and avoid a similar situation.

Old 04-17-2000, 05:08 AM
Pro Rider

To clear things up swac1 when going down a steep incline you only have 2 wheel rear ebs, using the method I told you gives you 4 wheel ebs it really makes quite a difference when using the method I told you the rear tires don't brake traction as bad and the rear end doesn't try to come around or the bike getting sideways. Well Hugh the best thing to do on this is to just keep your bike awd switch on at all times because the front end doesn't engage till the back wheel slips, but I must admit I have been guilty of the same I have a habit of turning it off when I am cruising going about 35 or 40 mph on the road.
I think what hugh was trying to say flood runner is that if he would have been in 4 wheel drive the back wheels would have slipped engaging the front and pulling him on to the top. The situation he was in, was that his awd switch was turned off so when his rear wheels started slipping and the front didn't lock in the hill was to steep to pull him to the top with the 2 wd thus causing him to wreck because of only 2 wd traction.

Old 04-17-2000, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hi
I was in a Polaris dealer looking at 4x4 atv's
a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't find the push button for the 4 wheel drive...now i understand it's the overide button under the starter button. Do you have to hold the overide button to keep it in 4 wheel?
That's kind of a pain if you do.

Old 04-17-2000, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

ATV MAN,
The 4WD switch is above the trottle on the right you slide it to the left to turn it on. The override button is for when you are in reverse. It engages the AWD in reverse and shuts off the RPM limiter.

Old 04-17-2000, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey all, I have a 98 300 Explorer, and when I put it in AWD , All 4 wheels are locked immediately. I just purchased a 99 400 Explorer, used and have found that the hesitation of the engagement of the front wheels has already put me in some bad situations. I wonder why Polaris changed their philosophy on the AWD System...I like the way my 300 Engages......Any thought or comments on this .....

Old 04-22-2000, 03:30 AM
Trailblazer

I hope Polaris makes some changes to there awd system.Because if they don't soon, the Japanese sure will. I see it as a open area for a new product. Someone out there must be taking notes. I know what the ultimate machine is,but nobody is making it....yet.

Quick Reply: How to put your Polaris into 4 wheel EBS instead of 2