Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how the Polaris 4x4 system works. Flipping the AWD switch on does NOT engage the front hubs until there is 20% slippage at the rear wheels. When the front and rear are turning the same speed, the front hubs disengage. This system has the advantage of much easier steering when good traction is available, but does not provide the same true 4x4 as some of the competitors.
Here's my question: Has anyone tried putting larger diameter tires on the front only to "fool' the AWD system into engaging earlier? Is this effective, or is it potentially damaging to the driveline? I'm thinking of trying 26" Mudlites on the front with stock 25" tires on rear.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

Pechmial, you are absolutely correct. All of the literature will tell you that the Polaris quads are torque sensing because that is, in fact, true. They are very similar to the setup of an all wheel drive Subaru or, better yet, a Ford Expedition with full time all wheel drive. Transferring power only when they feel a difference of RPM between the front and rear wheels. Four wheel drive is supposed to engage seemlessly. Having ridden and raced alot in all sorts of terrain with this very setup, I can tell you that if you have the 4wd button switched to the "on" position, it will pull with it in many cases when you feel like you aren't even slipping. It's so easy to get the rear slipping in a quad that we don't even realize we are doing it. I would say your friend flipped it due to inexperience. Theoretically, if the front wheels were light enough to pull it in the air enough to flip over, the front wheels surely would be light enough to not spin at the same RPM as the rears, thus causing the 4wd to kick in. Wow, we should be rocket scientists!!!!!

Old 03-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

Since the front and rear drivelines are locked together when in 4wd, putting larger tires on the front will actually cause the front tires to DRAG the rear tires along. I don't know if it would cause damage, but it doesn't seem like it would be healthy!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the front tires are already 1" taller then the rears stock.

Old 05-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, on some machines, but not all of them. I think he was trying to say that if you change the factory ratio and go up one more size, then you would have 4wd problems. Same goes for changing the sprocket sizes or gearing ratios.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

This post and the replys to this post are excellent by virtue of allowing all to understand the FWD system on Polaris ATV's AND more importantly, ENLIGHTENING everyone about the ease to which these bikes can flip while climbing......

My observations from all this is that it doesn't matter one bit if the front wheels are engaged or not when climbing TOO steep a hill..... If you are too steep and weight transfer is incorrect (which is synonymous with TOO steep), as soon as the critical torque applied to the ground by the rear wheels is reached,,, the bike will go over..... It doesn't matter if the front wheels were engaged or not......

These bikes don't wheely up hills and balance long enough for you to decide what action is required, these bikes come over at nearly the speed of light....When they do, it usually isn't pretty.....

I really am glad I read all replies so I could just be reminded how careful I must be climbing hills.... I am new to ATV's (one month), but I am now more aware of their potential to flip....I too, now better than ever, understand the FWD system of polaris ATV's....

THANKS ALL.....

Old 05-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Oops

Old 05-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I've noticed when climbing hills is that the floorboards make it diffcult to stand and lean forward to keep that front end down. It's not like having pegs where your foot can angle forward when you lean your body forward.
Seems like most of the time I'm busting it up a steep hill my front end is bouncing up anyway so the 4x4 isn't even a factor. In fact most of the time I go up steep hills in 2 wheel drive anyway. I save the 4x4 for the mud.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is alot of factors that come in to play when climbing hills and rolling, And AWD more likely than not is not one of them. I live in pa. where the hills can get big and i have rolled my 500 srambler twice. I think the biggest factor is experiance this i found out the hard way. Most polaris's are known for lifting the front end up on hills and the problem i find is once they start lift off they want to keep going, the way to keep from killing your-self is to first not be stupid and second learn how to get thr font end back down while not losing foward motion. If you lose foward motion then you could find your-self in a bad situation and you dont want to be there once again trust me i have been there. More or less polaris's do great on hills and long as you know your riding a 500 + pound machine that has a mind of its own sometimes.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Dizzycableguy,

I believe the Scrambler rear shocks are adjustable, I know they are on the Sportsman. Tightening up two clicks from stock really made a world of difference. Might want to give it a shot.

Scott

Quick Reply: Enlighten me on Polaris 4wd please...