Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Picture of starter? Polaris sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of starter? Polaris sport

This is going to sound dumb, but I am learning every day. I got this 99 sport 400 and the battery was dead and the guy that sold it to me told me that the starter worked, but he pull started it cause of the dead battery. Well, I bought a new battery and when i hit the start button,,,,, I get nothing. I am hoping that the seler was telling the truth and maby that there is a loose wire or something. Wher is the starter located? What is the best side to look at it and access it. thank you for any help.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

The starter is on the back side of the crank case way down towards
the bottom. You should be able to see it if you remove the air box.
To remove the starter you will have to remove the pull start cover
to access two of the screws that hold the starter on. Two other screws
are behind the clutch cover housing. Or if you have really small and
skinny hands you might be able to reach them without taking the
cover and clutches off! He!He![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Do you hear a clicking sound when you push the button? You may want to check the wires on the Solenoid also. It is located just in front of your battery. You could try to hook your starter up direct and if it doesn't turn over then you know its the starter. If it does then its probably the solenoid or a wire on the battery.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I think the best way to get to the starter is just to stand your quad up on the back wheels and remove the skid plate. It makes it alot easier when you can stand there and look at it at eye level. There is a bracket holding the starter that is a pain to get out if you don't have the right tools. I bought some of those flat ratcheting box end metric wrenches at Sears and it makes it alot easier to remove the bracket. You will also have to remove the housing for your pull starter to get to a couple of bolts that hold the starter in.
Once you get it out you'll probably find the brushes need to be replaced unless the starter is just totally shot. Your dealer will sell a brush kit if it looks like it's just the brushes and you should be back in business. I just did this about 2 weeks ago and it cured my starter problems.

Old 02-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Like Hughes said, access the solenoid first, and go from there. There is an electrical cleaner/protectant/penetrant put out by CRC. It's called 2-26. Great product to periodically spray down your electrical connections. You can also try tapping on the solenoid just in case it's stuck. Be prepared, once you do get your starter to engage, you still might have to remove the recoil cover, and lube your starter bendix. Keep us posted.