Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

engine cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine cuts off

I recently took my '03 sp600 in for some minor warranty work. Now whenever I turn sharply my
engine cuts off.It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to annoy the begeesus out of me.
Anybody have any ideas? Thanx in advance

Old 02-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Range Rover
Default engine cuts off

electrical prob, take back and have checked.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Range Rover
Default engine cuts off

Which direction kills it and does it do it at idle or at speed? On my brother inlaws 500HO His was dying at idle and real slow speed, I told him to adjust the idle up but it still did it sometimes. He didn't tell me that it would do it everytime he turned the handle bars to the right. I adjusted his throttle cable just down the cable from the throttle control under ther rubber cover and it fixed it. Its really for adjusting slack in the cable ( for ETC I believe) but if its to tight you can hear your idle change just by moving the handle bars from full left to full right and if its to loose it will usually die when you turn your bars to the right. Check it out and if you hear the idle change or it dies adjust the cable just enough so you can move the handle bars from full left to full right with no change in idle. If its cutting of when your riding at speed (on the throttle) its something else.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default engine cuts off

Check for free play in your throttle cable. I just picked up a trailbazer last night and the guy mentioned that exact problem. He said it happens because there is a cut off switch in the throttle assemble on the handle bar on polaris as a safety measure in case of a stuck wide open condition. Didn't look to see how it works or anything but he mentioned any free play in the throttle cable with cause this switch to shut quad down. Not sure if this helps or makes sence but I tried.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Default engine cuts off

Thanks a lot guys! I took it back to my dealer and they said the same thing. I figured they can fix it
since it's still under warranty. I'll keep you'se posted in case it's something else.

Well got my 600 back today. Their solution?-the key fob I got from my dealer was catching on the gas cap and
turning the key off. DUHH!!! I knew that b-4 I took it in. I explained specifically when I dropped it off that it
occasionally would do the same thing when I turned left!! All I got was a dumb look and an "oh really?" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I took it back home because I'm gonna need it to plow(getting some snow) ang if the dad-blasted thing stalls
in the road look for a news story about a northern michigan man going postal in a polaris dealership!!
Just kidding-kinda [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]