Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Killer

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Killer

Kevin, Bosox
Save your self the trouble of even responding to Modquad. All he ever does is give his opinion without any facts to back it. If it's not something he owns, it's no good. Dirt wheels is no good because Ken is affiliated with ATV Sport. The 700 is a greatquad, And if Polaris had come out with a scrambler 700, He would be praising it reguardless of weight. Jealousy is killing this guy.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

The magazine, I'm sure, appreciates the publicity. And for using my full name, I guess I do to....not that people can't learn it through my website. I have nothing to hide. By the way, why is your profile now hidden? Are you hidding from something. Dirty Wheels has earned their rap, and many here know that. You are mis-informed if you think anything else.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Originally posted by: modquad
I still find it a hoot that people like yourself and Kevin feel the need to travel around trying to defend this machine.

I look at this forum because I still have a Polaris. I come here often and answer Scrambler questions if I see someone needs help, but I'll also call out BS when I see it.
I don't defend the Kawi against people who have never ridden one and have already formed their opinions, I defend it for people who may be interested in the truth .

Scram & V-Force Pics

Old 05-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Kevin, have myself, or anyone on this forum posted lies? I was the first to post the weight of the 700, even had a pic to back that up. You've been down the Sport/Scrambler road, I'll give you credit in that arena, but the main beef has always been the overall idea of the machine is dated. And the hype that Dirty Wheels spooled up about it's release was comical. I think Bubba, and others will back me up on this one, go ride it, have fun, but don't stop in here looking to get approval on a sales pitch, cause personally it doesn't interest me. Happy Trails. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

By the way, that's my opinion.

Old 05-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

I think this whole post is a big joke. The Scrambler nor the 700 are true sport quads. Yes the Kawi is well suspended and quick, but in my opinion that is as far sport as it goes. The Scrambler suspension sucks, it is quick (the 400) but it is not a real sport quad either. They are both auto tranny and the Kawi even has a shaft drive which is known to be from utility quads, not sport quads. How the hell you change the gearing ratios on those things for different applications anyway?? Or is it like Bubba says, and just for GNCC races?? Well, when the GNCC was in town here a few weeks ago, yes I can say I was impressed with the Kawi on the starting line, but I sure didn't see it out front, take and overall win, or see any well known pros on one. They were riding true sport atv's, like the 250R, Ballance's quad, the Z400, etc, no automatic, shaft drive atv's for them... My Scrambler 400 will be superior to a Kawi 700 anyday, you know why??? Because my Scrambler also benefits from 4wd. TRUE 4wd too, not the 3 wd most manufacturers go with, I would challange any 700 to a drag race, a mud bog, a hill climb, racing through snow, any kind of extreme terrain anyday and I would win!!! That is why I think the Scrambler is such a special atv, not becuase it is the fastest, the sportiest, the lightest, etc., But it is and always will be a truely break through machine because it is so versitale as a sport/utility quad and no other manufacturers have even dared to do the same with a quad as Polaris has. And yes, Dirt Wheels sucks, they write what they get paid to write and they have never give the Scrambler line the credit it deserves, but that is why my last 4 years of subscriptions with them has now ended. If you can't see the favoritism that they give to other manufacturers, then you surely haven't been reading their mag. long enough to see it. These are my opinions and I love my Scrambler and I don't really care what anybody cares or thinks. If you can find an atv currently on the market that has as much versaility and the fun factor that my Scrambler gives me, then plese show me as I have not seen it as of yet!! Later

Old 05-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

I think it's way cool that there is a factory rig at a GNCC race. If this could only be escalated to the level of Supercross, or the AMA pro outdoor series. Get these pro quad racers the backing they have long deserved. With the advent of GNCC on TV as well as a few ATV based shows, things are looking better. Heck, ESPN2 on Motoworld is now even reporting the quads. It's an exciting time of change, and hopefully will get better.

Old 05-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

The 700 is indeed another way manufacturers are copying Polaris. They do it with the CVT, floorboards and everything else that dirty wheels wants to call stoopid. Problem for dirty wheels is most of us know the difference.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:50 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

Bosox,

You might as well give it up man, these guys have their minds made up, and there is nothing you will say that will convince them. It's the old "Sky is Blue, NO it's Not" BS, over and over. I know I tried early on. But thanks, it has been Entertaining.

The one thing that you will notice is that they keep going back to the statement "It's 10 year old technology.", but they will NEVER back up that statement. Exactly what is it? The Round Wheels? I think that they are older than 10 years, and last time I checked ALL Quads had them. Is it the round Tires? That must be it, but they have been around a long time too, and everyone's got them too. The Handlebars, maybe but motorcycles and quads have had them forever too, makes it easier to steer. It must be the Auto Trany!!!! I don't know, I have ridden both the KFX700 and a Scram 500, and these two tranies don't feel the same. But what the hey, they are both Autos! Gee I guess they are right, they are just about identical quads. They both have the same things, Wheels, Tires, Handlebars and Auto Tranies.

EVERY QUAD IS BASED ON TECHNOLOGY THAT IS MUCH OLDER THAN "10 Years". Unless Polaris invented the Wheel (To listen to these guys they DID.), it's all old news.

I must have missed something from the Polaris lineup over the years. Someone help me out. Exactly when did Polaris ever produce a Scrambler with:
1) V-Twin 700cc motor.
2) Dual A-Arm front suspension.
3) Shaft drive.
4) Non-Floorboard.
5) Single Spar race inspired Frame.
6) Split Braking.

Anybody?

NCScrambler,

I have a KFX400 also. It does have a Chain and Sprockets, that I will NEVER change the Gear Ratio on. Does that mean that it is NOT a Sport Quad? Or is it simply having the ability to do something that you will NEVER do that makes it a Sport Quad. Simply put, you don't Need to change the gearing on the 700, so why would it matter if you can or can't? By the way, Gearing can also be affected by Tire size.

I would hope that your Fully MODDED Scram would beat a Stock KFX700.

I have sitting before me the April 2001 issue of ATV Sport. In it is a 4 Stroke Shootout between the Raptor, 400EX, DS650 and the SCRAMBLER 500 2WD. It states, and I quote:

What about the Scrambler 500 2WD? This new machine is a welcome addition to the Polaris sport quad family, but it's in a different performance class from the other three machines. Those of you planning to write a letter asking why we didn't include the Polaris 400 two-stroke to the test, please put down your pens. Polaris brought the two-stroke to this four-stroke shootout, and we spent some time riding it. Its radar numbers were about the same as the 500 four, so don't tell us that the 400 would have done a whole lot better compared to these other machines.

Not MY words, but ATV Sport's conclusions. That is the same magazine that chose the "POLARIS" Predator as the Sport ATV of the Year.

BarelyLegal,

Look again my friend, NO "Floorboards" on the KFX700.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

I am sure my fully modded Scrambler would beat a stock or a non-stock 700, dang just look at the weight difference. Yes, you are right that the tire size can change the gearing, but it also changes ground clearance which is something I can't lose where I ride at. I think the KFX400 is a heck of alot more of a sport quad than the KFX700, you won't get any argument out of me there!!! The 500 and 400 may be close to even from the factory, but the fun factor of the 2 stroke motor does not even compare with a 4 stroke and in my opinion it never will. I have been riding 2 stroke jetskis for a long time and these new 4 stroke turbocharged jetskis coming out that I have rode, do not even compare to the fun of the 2 stroke motor. In my opinion, they never will. I have not seen any 700's modded yet, but I wonder just what all I can you do the 700 to get more out of it?? What happens when you mod the motor so much that you have so much bottom end or top end power, that you can't ride it becuase the gearing is way off??? Oh, I guess you could make clutching adjustments, but then that would only delay the take off time and then when you finally take off, you tear the belt to shreds and rip the shaft out becuase it wasn't designed with all that power in mind. And just how much of that horsepower from those expensive mods would you lose through that shaft anyway??? A hell of a lot more than what you would with a chain, I guarantee that. If the 700 wasn't so heavy, didn't have shaft drive, and wasn't a 4 stroke, I might get one, but until that day comes, you can have it. I have even seen where the GNCC riders talked about how heavy the thing was and how they really had to get used to all that weight...Hmmm. I don't really care what someone rides as long as they enjoy it and have fun with it and don't hold me up if I am riding with them. But... the Kawi 00 being called a Polaris Killer... I don't think so. Maybe if it landed on top of one, it would smush it, but that is about it. Oh, and when that big ole green bike gets stuck in the mud,,, don't ask for my 4wd Scrambler to pull it out!! See, that machine will never compare to my 400 because I have the versatility to change from 4wd to 2wd at the push of a button and that is what the Scrambler is all about, versatility. Not only can I race it, I can go through most things that other utility 4wds can't go through,(much less a sport atv)because my 4wd is true 4wd and my 60 plus horsepower can get me through almost any situation quickly and with alot of fun, something the 700 will never be able to do. One more thing, for Dirty Wheels to call the 700 revolutionary is a joke, what is so revolutionary about it??? It has auto tranny...OLD Double a arm suspension...OLD shaft drive...OLD the only thing new is the motor.... WOW. You would think with a motor that big that it would really have SOOOOOO much power, but I have yet to see it, I have pictures from the Morganton GNCC and was the 700 out front on the starting line?? NOPE Did it run off and leave much smaller motored quads NOPE... SO, what is so revolutionary about it??? I think if anything should have been called revolutionary, it should have been the Cannondales, they were bad bikes and you really got alot for your money with them, but.... they are out of business now and hopefully someone will buy them out and continue with the line. Dirty Wheels has always been against Polaris and always will be for some unknown reason, I guess because Polaris doesn't pay them enough to advertise for them?? So, please explain why the 700 is so revolutionary as DW likes to call it?? Thanks

Old 05-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Polaris Killer

RPM, what is wrong with our Polaris loyalty. Seems to me you're lookin' like some Team Green rep yourself. Ride what you want. It would be soooo boring if we all liked the same machines. Feel free to rant all you want in the Kawi forum about the Scrambler and the Predator, mine have served me well, and I won't feel the need to be a transient salesperson. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Polaris Killer