Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help w/ Predator setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ Predator setup

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have seen alot of great info and opinions regarding the Predator......I just picked mine up after a long 4 month wait......I coming off riding a very modified Banshee for the past 5 years and I can honestly say that this new 4 stoke is a totally different animal- good and bad.....I'm still getting used to it.....and yes, it will wheelie but not like my banshee......Literally, my banshee would pretty much spank it in a straight line drag but the handling on this thing is incredible--much easier to throw around and turn--the most stable quad I've ridden next to the Quadzilla.....I know there is alot of potential in this bad boy and I currently own 3 Polaris Quads and 3 sleds---They Rule as far as I see- always had great luck and I 've owned over 12 different models of other brands(sleds and quads combined)...Anyway, I would first like to ask the best way to break this animal in and secondly how to adjust my very stiff suspension....I have the clicker set at 4 on the reservoir, is their another adjustment on the rear shock.?........Front way too stiff also.....Trying to soften up the ride.....I'm 250 pds and 6'2 and so far it jars the s*%t out of me in the rough.......With all that said, this quad rocks in stock form......Any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome. If you glance through your owner's manual, there's a pic of the rebound clicker on the bottom of the rear shock. Along with backing down the spring pre-loads, I also backed that down. One of the best mods for the whole machine is to get the rezzi's for the front shocks. I know people are probably sick of me ranting about these things, but man, they really wake up the machine. Obviously, if you can afford it, go one step better and get the Walker Evan's shocks. It does take a bit to get used to the point and shoot capabilties of this machine.

Old 02-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome Bpolarized to the ranks of the Predator Army..........you'll have no regrets leaving a banshee for the Predator which is a much more fun all around spankingly great package.

Do a background search on us other predator owners, as we've been there before, and you can really dial in this suspension even for us bigger guys.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 03-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply heapster........I know about the rear clicker adjustment (set at 10 from factory--15 being the firmest and 1 being the softest-correct?) now the only other adjustment that I see is actually turning the the coupler around the rear shock on the top to loosen (counterclockwise) or tighten(clockwise) the spring......Will loosening it up give me more travel with less "sit in" and soften the ride as the rear end drops after I lift it off the ground?.......Does this same principal apply to the front shocks?.......I want to soften the front up a bit also....Am I on the right track?...Thanks

Old 03-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I felt my front suspension was too stiff also. This is my first quad and I am 235 at 35 years old. We have been riding the road ditches here with no snow. I went to the fox web sight and left them an e mail. They called me the next night at home. Great customer service !!!! They sent out a kit for the front shocks, it will make them softer. The problem is that I have not had time to do this and the more I ride it the more I like the suspension. It has softened up plenty but maybe I have just got used to it. Be carful not to make to many adjustments until you have given it a real trial. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

The Predator has awesome suspension, and you really need to dial it in to fit your weight, riding style, and terrain.

Shocks have pre-load, set by the static spring compression, dampening which is how fast the valving compresses, and rebound which is how fast of rate the shock will extend.

Rear shock on the pred has all 3 adjustments. Personally, I like about 1-1.5" of sag (preload setting, where you can lift up on the rear of the quad about 1" from a static sitting) and a fast rebound so you can work the suspension travel. I run my compression really low too, at about click 2-3......let the suspension work!

On the fronts, I have about 3" of preload, measured from the top of the adjuster ring, to the top notch of the shock body.

Out on the trail, if its too harsh, then twist 5 turns out of the threaded adjuster...........thats what its there for!

Tune it, adjust it, dial it in.....learn the quad, love the quad, become one with the quad.

Heapster

Old 03-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Good info but I'm still a little confused. If I want the rear to spring back up quickly, (like for going through whoops), how do I adjust for that? I have turned the resevoir dial counter-clockwise about 20 times and it seems to make no difference.

What am I missing?

Thanks!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

The adjustment on the rear shock ressie is for compression dampening, not rebound.

The rebound adjustment is on the knurled **** at the bottom of the shock.

Turn it to the left (turning it "out") to soften and quicken the rebound.

You don't want it too slow, as this "loads up" the rear suspension, you also don't want it too quick, as it'll toss you over the bars (or do a superman stunt pose) if you hit a big bouncer on the rear end.

Its really not that hard guys.......learn your machine, and read read read any technical information you can.

Glad to help.

TUNE YOUR MACHINE! you'll love it even more.