Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

? on wiring three way lites on sp700

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on wiring three way lites on sp700

Hey guys! I was just surfing the web today and I kept running across a kit that people are selling to wire there atv to where all three headlights turn on when you switch to high beams. I read an old forum about this and they mentioned using a diode and some connectors. I private messenged the guy who said he knew how to wire it but he never wrote back. If any one knows how to wire the lights please reply. It would really help while nite riding.
Thanks,
dbass

Old 02-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found these instructions on another forum. I haven't tried them myself yet. but I will tonight.

step 1: open the headlight cowling.
2: find harness coming from the left side of handlebars and make a small(maybe 2") slit in harness.
3: locate dark green wire and yellow wire and get another wire(doesnt matter what color)with splicing connectors(you could solder the connections) and attatch to yellow and green.
4: replace cowling
should be pretty simple for just about anybody

Like I said I haven't tried this mod yet. If anyone else has, does it work?

Old 03-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

REDSPORTSMAN500HO
I was checking in with you to see how the wiring went. I hope it worked with no problems. Please reply back and let me know.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

dbass,

I did the mod as described. Only problem is that when you turn your lights on low or high all 3 come on. I was tempted to order the
kit to do it right. But I went ahead with the mod. It's working, but like I said, you lose your low beam selection.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well back to the drawing board. Found this info after I did the mod. figures.

http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...2&m=6396088232

Going to Wally World tomorrow...

Old 03-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

redsportsman500
good luck with the wiring. I'm gonna try it this weekend. Keep me posted; let me know how it turns out.
Thanks,
dbass

Old 03-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Since you guys have already identified the wires that feed the low beams and high beam all you need is a 30 amp automotive relay to make the low beams come on only when the high beam is on. Wire the low beam feed wire through the normally closed contacts and also through the normally open contacts but wire one side of the normally open contacts back to the high beam feed wire or another switched 12 volt source and use the high beam feed wire to energize the relay. Wired like this when the high beams are off, the low beams will come on through the normally closed contacts and when the high beam is on, the low beams will be switched on through the normally open set of contacts.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

could you explain that in English please

Old 03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

dbass,

I just finished following the instructions from Rammer on the post I gave the link to. I went and got a 30 amp relay from Radio Shack,
p/n 275-226, to match what he described in his post. It works perfectly. I now have a low and a 3 light high beam. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

wtf are you people doing??? just put the switch in the middle of high and low and all 3 lights will be on, might take a couple trys to get it to stay there but it will. Everyone around my way does it that way and my dealer even told me to do it like that. It was realy easy to do on the <1998's but the new switch that came out in 99 was a little tougher but not imposible. Beats haveing a screwed up switch for later if you want to only have highs or lows. In fact why would you do that when you could do it this way. Thats like converting your car w/ fog lights so the fog lights come on with the regular lights even though you could already turn the fog lights on whenever you want. I'm rambling now.

Quick Reply: ? on wiring three way lites on sp700