Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sp 700 died

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sp 700 died

hi just came back from a 5 mile ride which i ended up being towed home.I checked for spark and nothing, then i checked for loose wiring or broken wires everything seems fine, but i have no voltage at coil. would any one have any ideas ,or wiring diagram for a 03 sp700 .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default sp 700 died

This is probably stupid, but is your battery okay? I would check the connections there, then check that its fully charged and putting out the right voltage. You didn't say in your post, does it crank over or just do nothing?

Old 03-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default sp 700 died

sorry for the half fast info ,but yes the engine cranks over fine .fuel in carb lots of voltage in batt, just no spark, so i checked the connectors at the coil and i have no batt voltage with key on or cranking . any help is much appreciated

Old 03-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default sp 700 died

Kill switch on handle bar off?

Old 03-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default sp 700 died

no the kill switch on the handle bar cuts all power,, engine does not crank if switch is off thats what i thought happened on the trail.

Old 03-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default sp 700 died

I wonder if the kill switch could be the culprit anyway. I know you checked the position of the switch, but what if the wiring to it got damaged, or the switch itself failed. I think I would pull that apart and try to bypass it, see if it makes a difference. You're going to have to trace all the wiring going to the coil and check for chafed thru or broken wires or bad connections. I wouldn't even worry so much about schematics, it's not a matter of removing or replacing the harness, just locating the trouble spot. good luck

Old 03-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default sp 700 died

oops, I guess I should have reread what you wrote before I started rambling on. I now see where you already checked your wiring and that the kill switch won't let it crank. (I didnt know that)

what were you doing when it died? what I mean is, did you shut it off then it wouldn't restart, or did it die while riding? Or were you up to your neck in water (hee hee)

I'm still thinking about it. I wish I could be more help, but I just woke up and havent had coffee yet. And I'm often not real bright even after my coffee! Let us know when you figure it out.

Old 03-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default sp 700 died

i think there is a module or cdi unit that goes bad and you loose spark.Call your dealer and ask the parts dept. what goes bad to cause no spark theye should know. I have seen a couple of brand new 700`s with less than 50 miles on them loose spark.
rich700

Old 03-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default sp 700 died

sp7oo
I notice you have had some post on overriding the reverse override switch and making all 3 lights work at the same time. Just wondering if you did this, and if you did, you might of did something wrong, or shorted out something. If you did do this, backtrack what you did and put it back to stock and see if it still doesn't start. You must think that you did something to it, or you would have brought it back under warrenty.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default sp 700 died

i have not altered any wiring yet,I also checked the harness from the coil to the magneto, all checks out ok.also checked the wiring from the rectifier/regulator this also looks ok.I did a resistance check on the wiring from the pick up coil at fly wheel to the ignition coil i have 356 ohms so there is no opens or shorts in this wiring.I am trying to find this problem my self because i will have to rent a truck and miss work to bring bike in for warranty,my dealer would give me the part if i could give him a bad part but i have to find the culprit first? Again thanks for the help

Quick Reply: sp 700 died