Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What do you think of the Polaris Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the Polaris Diesel

Brother - in - law actually HAD a diesel for a while. While it was amazinly easy on fuel, and didn't cause him any mechanical troubles, he wound up selling it after about a year of owning it (for quite a lot less than he paid for it) because it wa so s-l-o-w. He summed it up this way...although it could drag a cow all over the farm, it couldn't outrun her. You basically had to just wear her down, and drag her back LOL. He said the only thing he misses about it, was the ability to siphon a gallon of fuel out of his tractor, and drive his ATV home on it (he is notorious for driving to some far off field without checking the fuel in his ATV, but that is a story for another time).

Old 03-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

that sounds like my son... he has a moped and it holds 2 gallons, the tank is long and thin so you cant see the gas under 3/4 of the way donw and he has gotton stranded out in the forest a cupple of times.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

so how about them Polaris diesels? Should I get one, or are they too slow?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't hurry to buy one because they don't go fast ( i mean there isn't much demand for em so people have a hard time selling them).

Old 03-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

Northstar, they are SLOW!
Getting off your wife's HO, and onto the diesel would be like getting off of a Mustang, and onto a Clydesdale that refuses to go faster than walk. It will work the Mustang into the ground pulling a plow, but unless you like to take gentle, liesurely rides, it will be too slow for you.

However, it gets double, or better fuel mileage. If you have diesel equipment, and want fuel compatability, it is probably OK. Construction guys love 'em because they can run ALL day on a tank of fuel, as well as haul and tow great loads. Most construction sites have a 20 or 25 MPH limit, so being slow isn't such a detrement for them. Most other people don't like them, too slow, heavy, and loud.

It can be hard to start in the cold, too.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

ok so you don't need to rush to a gas station, hell you can just tie the pump to the back of your diesel and pull the pump around and you wouldn't even know it's being dragged around because the diesel is so loud that you wouldn't hear the slack from the gas attenant. But on a serious note I wish the diesel had a standard tranny like a tractor.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

does the diesel have high and low range? I really need something with low range, so I can go slow. I want to put some big chrome stacks on it, and some of those mud flaps with the little chrome girlies on them.

Old 03-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

The diesel had from what I would recall a low range (some people called it hirange) and Bull-Stop-super-bull low range. It also the only bull you can slowly backup.

Old 03-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

did it still have the belts?

Old 03-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yup!

Quick Reply: What do you think of the Polaris Diesel