Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can we handle the Rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone should know by now that the Rubicon will win the next big-bore shoot-out. Even if its performance is only on par (I personally think that it will surpass) with the Polaris machines, the mags always lean towards Honda.

Besides all that, Honda has set out to create the top performing quads in the largest market segments. Honda's definition of performance, and other peoples definition is different, though. As far as their sport/ute quads go, reliability is number one priority, everything else is details. I personally don't mind that philosophy for that type of machine. I like my TRX300FW for what it is. But I also like to have a high-performance quad, too. I don't like one doing both jobs.

Old 05-02-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

I did READ ON, I thought it was interesting that the Rancher had a good time on the sled pull faster that the AC 500. I have not seen the data on the same pull with the AC in high gear. I wish Dirt Wheels would put more AC, Polaris, Suzukis in the shoot outs. There is no way that a 350 (actually 329) could out do a 500 in total power.

You were right about the Dirt wheels article where the Big Bear not the Kodiak, was leading most of the categories but the Honda won the overall shoot out! The Big Bear should have one the power categories since it has 50cc more than the Rancher. The Honda beat the similiar sized Yamaha (Wolverine) in the shoot out!

Old 05-02-2000, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

After listening to many of you over the past many months. I am satisfied that atv magazine shootouts
are very innacurate. I like to hear from owners of
vechiles them selves. It may very well be a great atv.

rangerchet

Old 05-04-2000, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

COB (CHICKENMAN) here;I just got back from a week in MOAB UTAH it's fabulous took alot of pics have them posted.When you go to site click on albums list to see them all.We were there during the easter jeep safari so have some good shots of them to.COB

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1288&a=5481339

Old 05-04-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

HEY if the rubicon is a better machine it'll only force POLARIS and the rest to up the anti and we'll be the winners in the long run.JUst got back from week in MOAB (ATV HEAVEN)UTAH took alot of pics check them out when you get the also click on album list to see them all.We were there during EASTER JEEP SAFARI week so have some good shots of them to.COB
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1288&a=5481339

Old 05-05-2000, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

you cant compare an arctic cat to a honda.No way!!

Old 05-05-2000, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

This question has to be a joke? I bought a new 99 honda and I ride with a friend that has a 99 Sportsman 335. He has had it for over a year with NO PROBLEMS. I rode it and loved it, and mistakenly thought I just wanted an automatic so I bought a grizzly. I still could not hang with him in the mountains or the mud. I now have a Sportsman 500 with 27x12x12 vamps from and back with a lift and billet wheels. I spend much more time waiting on Hondas to get out of the mud because they are high-centered than I do greasing my zerks. I usually pull them out. Sometimes I feel like the honda owner are wishing my polaris would break in order to justify their decision to buy a honda. If Honda comes out with a fully independent supspension and disc brakes I might consider going back. Until then, I will keep listening to the honda owners make excuses for why they stay stuck, and I will keep greasing my zerks.
Anyway, the only way a rubicon will follow me is if I hook up my tow strap and pull him through the nasty holes.

Greg

Old 05-05-2000, 08:52 PM
Air
Pro Rider

This is not meant to offend but did Polaris "invent" the belt drive CVT or have snowmobiles used them forever. And 500cc + 4 Valve always has more potential than 500cc + 2 valves. The belt drive efficiancy is poor campared to a hydro trans so the potential is there for at least a powerfull machine. Is it the best only time will tell.

Ride Red, Ride safe

If not ride what you want safe

99 426ex , Web Cam, FCR carb w/ twist, CT revlimiter, DMC exhaust, XCT's ,K&N, One kit, Renthal bars, DG nerfs, Armidillo Swingarm plate, 8 paddle Haulers

http://www.trxoutlawz.com/

Old 05-05-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

The Rubicon will not hurt us at all,but if it wins the Shootouts like most of us expect it to it will help everyone that rides. It can only be good for the industry. I really like my SP500 and will not trade it for anything anytime soon except maybe a yellow one. Anyway Polaris has come a long ways in this industry in a short amount of time. They can not afford to let Honda get to far ahead neither can Yam,Suik,Kaw, for that so look for many exciting things down the road if the Rubicon is a sucess.

Old 05-06-2000, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Belt drive have been on snowmobiles since the late 50s and ealy 60's and if Hydulic drive was better they would be using it the snowmobile industry is pretty cut throat.Every 500cc was a 4 valve it was Honda's 450 Forman that was the last hold out but now they joind the group now I want to see more double over head cams engines.

Quick Reply: Can we handle the Rubicon?